1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which mower for Best Quality of cut

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by djwats, May 20, 2005.

1. djwats

djwats LawnSite Member

I am looking for comments and suggestions on which mower - 48" cut or wider - you would suggest for best quality of cut in a wide range of conditions. I have posted my complaints about the quality of cut that I get from my Cub Tank M48KHS. It does ok on a perfectly dry day with little to cut. But when I get behind and the grass and/or weeds get too high, even the slowest ground speeds leave too much uncut grass in my opinion. I even tried the Meg-Mo System (see sponsor link above) and though I get better airflow and smaller pieces of cut grass, there still is too much uncut grass. The mower has recently been to a dealer to check the leveling of the deck and all that but still cutting the same. Is it just me expecting too much or do you guys get a great cut in taller grass? I realize some weeds are tougher than others but still looking for input - and more output from my mower. Thanks.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I've never seen a "great" cut in tall grass. Mowed mostly bermuda here. Height affects density. The more often it is cut the better it will look. When grass is tall and then chopped way down it puts more stress on the plant. The mower engine must work harder, the tips of the grass blades may be torn rather than actaully cut leaving a dull tinge to it. They always say never cut more than 1/3 off at any one cutting but that is not always possible. I've even cut off a third and then dropped down and done a second cut before and got better results than just starting out very short. It sounds like you may just be going to far between cuttings to me.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to try this; Drop the front of your deck by 1/4" ,All Dixie Choppers are set up this way to give less drag on the blades as apposed to a level deck,Also check your engine R.P.M. It should be set at 3700 with no load and mow at the wide open position,This engine is designed to run at this R.P.M. day in and day out.