1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which mower for mostly residentials and some commercial jobs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYNOTHEALBINO, Apr 23, 2003.

RYNOTHEALBINO LawnSite Member

I was wondering which mower would be the perfect fit for me? I like the scags, hustlers, and exmarks, i just can't decide which one would be the best. I'm going to be doing some commercial too so i want a zero turn mower. I want a very small and compact mower but i also want one with speed. The scag and hustlers are good for that, but some people are telling me hustlers are too heavy for residential. I was thinking about the Hustler super mini z with the 48 or 52" deck, the scag tiger cub, or the exmark with a 48 or 52" deck. Could you please help me out in deciding?
  2. Dan's lawn care

Dan's lawn care LawnSite Member

Well lescos anret bad
  3. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

All mowers that you have listed are good mowers I prefer scag myself but that is the only ones that I have actually owned so I can't speak to much about the others though I have demoed various one and seem to be good machines but the scags I just feel had the better dealer support and that is as important as the machine. If you are looking at the scag I would get a 52" Turf Tiger over the tiger cub just a heavy built the tiger cub is scags model amid more at the residental home owners. I would also go with a Kaw liquid cooled engine with what ever machine you get. As far as the machine being to heavy I really don't see a problem there just keep of the turf when soggy. Go demo them all and look at the dealers.
  4. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

Here's why i perfer exmark,this was cut by a lady with two weeks expercience useing a lazer z hp:D

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Like These's

smaller 664.jpg
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

This one is good for that scenario. SCAG! 52" hydro with sulky. If you get one with a 17 or 19hp engine and a two wheel trailing sulky you can do those smaller yards as fast as with a Z but it is much more versatile, better visibility, more affordable, etc. goes all over steep banks, rough areas that would have your seat switch on a Z popping off because of your bouncing (ouch).

7. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

TORO 17/44 compact Z - perfect cut, trouble free. You've seen the rest now buy the best!
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

All are good just check into which dealer will be able to give you the best support after the sale and demo everything that you are interested in on your properties.

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I am very pleased with my exmark 48''. Mostly residential mowing. quick, accurate and lays good stripes without a kit. Not to mention i haven't had any major problems (repairs) yet, but only 400 hours on it. Good luck to ya
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Toro 36" Hydro W/B that I use to get into backyards of residential yards and the smaller areas of commercial sites. I use my 48" Walker mainly for large areas of residential properties. I also have a Toro 21" push mower I use only if I have to.

I won't take anymore yards I have to use only a 21" mower on.

My 52" Z-Master and soon to have 62" Z-Master will be used only on huge resi's and commercial.