Which mower for res. & light commercial?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by JLinder, May 25, 2005.

1. JLinder

JLinder LawnSite Member

I'm looking at zero turn mowers of all kinds and don't know where to start. I'm planning on mowing my own lawn and picking up maybe 6-10 accounts to basically help pay for the mower expense. My own lawn is only 1/4 acre and most of my accounts will be about the same size or slightly larger. We do have hills here, but nothing a garden tractor wouldn't handle. As far as dealers go, I have Deere and Cub but neither keeps enough parts in stock to fill a shoe box. Next closest dealers are Portland/metro area where there's dealers of all kinds and parts are 1 day away (same as local dealers when they order). My main concern is most bang for the buck and realibility. I would also like a mower that had mulching abillity, if it works in damp conditions here on the coast.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I think of more later.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a Walker dealer nearby?

Scag Cougar?

3. JLinder

JLinder LawnSite Member

Walker or Scag dealer would be ~90mi away. Not that it would be that big of a deal, as I said before because local dealers only stock the bare minimum for their brands any way.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Walker and Scag are both fantastic mowers.

I'm really liking the Cougar lately as you can bag, SD and mulch with the same 52' deck. Cheaper than the Walkers too.....

Wonder if Walker manufacturing is listening?

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just read my sig.....stick with Deere.

6. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a Gravely 1844XL and it is a beast of a ztr but not too expensive.

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you have a pristine manicured lawn stay away from Walker GHS, they can't stand the normal lawns. If you ask me they suck. I will give them the best stripe in the business and vaccum, man unbelievable. If you have a beautiful lawn it will never look as good as the time a walker mowed it. Argue if you want the cut is awesome.

BUT they are slow, HIGH HIGH HIGH maintainance, and hills forget it. They sell a gimmick to lock the wheel for hills and straighter lines. Your situation I would reccomend a Z-TURNS{SCAG, Exmark, Toro}, John Deere's 1145 and 735 (FRONT MOUNTS) machines do best on hills (better that the teardrop you get with z-turn) All have their problems but these seem to be well engineered well built machines.