Which Mower Is Best For Me ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EsoScapes, May 12, 2007.

1. EsoScapes

EsoScapes LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, my name is Kurt, and I am just getting ready to begin my very own residential and commercial lawn mowing company. I live in St.Lucia which is a caribbean island located in the tropics. I need some professionals like you guys to help me with choosing a VERY GOOD SELF PROPELLED WALK BEHIND MOWER. I would like to please incicate to me a durable brand and wheather i should go for a ZTR or a normal push mower. The topography of many of the properties in my country is slightly slopped and undulating (un even). Like I said before I am totally new to this field. I just graduated from college and I am only 20 years of age. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

PS> ANYYY additional information that you may have for me will be GREATLY appreciated !!! :waving: :dancing:
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody with walk behinds help this boy!!!
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How big are the yards...what does your biness plan project in the amount you'll take on the first year?
  4. Stan's_Lawn_Service

Stan's_Lawn_Service LawnSite Member

If I your you I would work for some large lawn company for a year, and learn the ins and outs of what takes, alot of startups, go under within one year due to no expeirnce (lousy service, the heat, drugs) and going in debt(buying everything new). Buy good used equipment for your startup company and good luck with whatever you do. Stans Lawn Service
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Hey I've been to St. Lucia- 2005- grass should grow year round- Nice place. check out the local dealers there, you need to look at what they can fix- this is the most important thing. do they carry parts for what you are buying. List what mowers you have available to you and we can give you an idea what will likely break and how hard it is to fix. good luck-
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you, we are getting a little response for the young man.

I have a daughter that lives in Willow Springs, I really like the Raleigh area.

I like the Carolina Hurricanes more last year when they won the Stanley Cup than this year when they were unable to make the playoffs. I enjoy ice hockey and all but got killed with a puck from a slap shot at center ice one night.
  7. EsoScapes

Thank you very much for your wonderful responses. The Mowers sold In my country are basicall Honda and Yard Machines and Sthil String Trimmers. However if I am to purchase a brand such as Exmark I intented on odering all my nesessary parts online and have it shipped to my country. Also it will be very difficult for me to gain any experience befre hand because there are no "Professional" landscaping and lawn care services in my country. What you will get is just a man comming to your yard with a pair of Hedge Shears and a String Trimmer and maybe a rake to care for your property. The Landscaping and Lawn Care industry in my country has yet to have been developed by anyone, so hopefull I will be the first.

Please keep all ideas and suggestions comming. i appreciate every single one of them !!
  8. EsoScapes

Many of the yards are very small, about 0.25 acre so I doubt I will be needing a drivable mower. And plus I think that it will be a bit to expensive for me. And also I dont have access to much used equipment in my country. Any equipment that I am buying will have to be ordered from over seas and I prefer to order brand new stuff.