Which mower is the industry's "best kept secret"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, May 13, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I was just thinking after reading about Walkers, Grasshopper mowers, etc and haven't heard hardly a bad thing about any of them.

I guess this would go for any equipment even if not mowers...

What brands/models are not widely used by maintenance and landscaping companies, but are great pieces of equipment?

And the better question is if they are great, why aren't they more widely used? Is it appearance, marketing, or price etc?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Keep hearing about Bad Boy, unfortunately they are nonexistant where I live.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Heres my vote.

320hd.jpg

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

vandermilon windmill hedge trimmers . best i have ever used by far. kawi engine-crome plated blades and the best ergos -

5. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

You couldn't give me a walker the hardest most complicated mower I have ever seen to work on. slow to, my dealer sells them and uses a 20,000 $ self dumper in his business but I would not touch one period!

6. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

The company that mowed my old school and the church across the street used those. To me (nonprofessional mower) the cut looked good and even. I don't know if the mowers had a striping kit on them or not but they striped really nice.

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

The Walker is very popular in my area. It seems every other guy has one and for some companies it's their main mower.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Everride Ztr's, thou these might not stay secret much longer :laugh:

9. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

No one ever talks about Bob Cat mowers it seems. They just as good or not better then John Deere, Exmark, Hustler, Scag and Dixy Chopper. Those are the mowers that are most talked about on lawn site it seems.

10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I think one of the most overlooked mowers is a Bob-Cat like someone else noted. You can get a 25HP 60" or 61" what ever it is with a suspension seat for 7000 here. To me that is a big bang for the buck!!!! I almost paid that for my Toro, and it's no where near the size of the Bob-Cat. One of the most well known guy's in my area runs two Bob-Cat 225's and a Walker 26HP GHS.

Also another mower that I am starting to see on some trailers are the Everide's. To be honest the Warrior really looks nice. My brother may be getting one. We are going to try and get a demo soon to see how it does.

Oh yea Walkers are plentyfull around here also! We have a good size dealer just south of me.