Which Mower/ Lease or buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmax, Mar 9, 2004.

1. madmax

madmax LawnSite Member
    from 65721

I'm looking for a new mower. I'm down to three, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, or a Ferris. I heard the Ferris out did the Dixie .But still don't know. Any Help out there?
    Also I see where you lease a mower, has anyone done that if so gook or bad.

2. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

All three are good mowers with different features. You'll never find a perfect mower with everything just like you like. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Demo all three and decide which one works best for your situation.

Leasing can be a viable option. The main advantage of leasing is being able to deduct the entire amount from your taxes. You would need to discuss it with your accountant to see if that would be beneficial for your situation. Leasing isn't for everyone.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We lease all equipment for the reason mentioned above. Helps big at tax time. All of ours are set up with a one dollar buy out at the end of the lease.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The lease will have a higher interest rate versus a purchase. I have done the lease before. But now you can get purchase financing at a pretty low rate and many with minimal down payment.

5. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

How does a lease work on a mower, are you allowed a certain amount of hours, and I know on a car they call door dings normal wear and tear, to what extent do they call a mower with normal wear and tear.

Tim

6. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

max check out kubota zd's lease rate is great right now.
    check with your accountant on which one is right for you at this point in your business

7. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

here in canada we lease mowers with skip payments so you don't have to pay when the white stuff flies

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area I have never seen a place where you could lease a mower or tractor like a car. Use it for say three years and return it to the dealer. Most leases I have seen were actually LEASE/PURCHASE . Which means its really a loan to buy but , its write off like lease for tax purposes.

9. nlls

nlls LawnSite Member

Hello clcare,

Does your lease company lease to the U.S.? Whow does the skip payments work? Do they extend your term by the # of months you skip plus a fee? Will they lease trucks? Thanks!

Best regards,

John

10. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

John, check with Kubota financing I'm sure its availible in the U.S. How they work is you would take your normal payment multipy that by 12 months and divide that number by the amount of months you want to make payments. So you actualy pay the same amount through-out the year, but you only pay when you are making money. Yes you can lease anything you want through Kubota Credit but the interest is a little more for products that they don't make. I like the skip payments it makes the winter less hard to handle.