which mower should i get????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajlandscaping, Sep 11, 2005.

1. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

alright i need some help choosing a mower i have narrowed it down to 2 exmark w/b's. i feel after reading all the specs on them that exmarks makes a more durable stronger reliable w/b(correct me if im wrong). the 2 i have decided between are the metro 48" and the viking 48" or 52". i know these 2 mowers have quite a price range and i plan on getting one of them next year i looked at the turf tracer but that is just out of my reach financially and the viking is the most expensive mower i can get no matter what can't go higher then that price.

now my question is whats the BIG differance between these 2 mowers to make the price jump up from the metro to viking?
    what would be the best pick out of the 2?

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

The Viking is hydo, and the metro is belt drive - Do not waste your money on the metro

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is the Metro gear drive?? That would be why it cost less. The viking is a Hydro BUT its a Fixed Deck and i think its going to be discontinued for 06.

John

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you are OK with a gear drive, go for the metro! Thats what i have and i love it. Of course i would have prefered a hydro but i couldn't afford it. Good Luck, Just my 2 cents!

5. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

If it is going to be your primary mower then go with the hydro.

6. ajlandscaping

i just looked over the thread of 06 exmarks someone posted awhile ago to see again what changes were said were going to happen i read that the metro's and vikings were going to be discountinued. if thats the case what w/b will take there places if any? if the 2 other cheaper mowers are gone will that lower or raise the price of the TT i would love to get my hands on one of those but there about 1 grand more then what i can make.

does exmark make any Z's that run somewhere between 3800 and 5 grand?

i know Z's are harder to maintain and thats the reason i want a w/b

any other w/b's out there besides toro that are up to par with the exmarks withing my price range listed above?

7. ajlandscaping

well i was planning on getting a hydro if money allows only becuase from what i heard is they can mow in rain w/ no problems and next year i will have little to know time for rain delays

8. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Aj,
    First off, if you can possibly stretch your money at all, find a way to come up with the money for a ztr. You will increase your productivity in a way you never thought possible. I started out wiht a riding mower, then bumbed up to my first commercial mower which was a scag wb 48" (which i still have). with the wb i could only do so many lawns a day because of fatigue, and that was even with the velke attachment. Now i have a ztr, and i could never do near the amount of lawns with the wb i do now with the dixie chopper. Sure they cost alot of money, but they are gonna make you way more money than a wb as your primary mower. Maybe instead of buying a new ztr, you could check your local dealers for any used ones. Usually they carry some type of warranty. Or check your local newspaper classifieds for any used ones. Even keep an eye on ebay for one that is local that you could check out before bidding.

9. ajlandscaping

the reason for my wanting a wb is the the cheaper price i know that if i got a ztr i could get done a whole lot faster but being im still in high school and am only 17 my goal for the next year is any where between 20 and 25 accounts that means i would only have to do 4 to 5 a day with saturday off but if i wanted a full days work on saturday i could take on about 35 to 40 but thats pushing it big time being i only got 8 accounts lined up this year with a possible 2 extra lined up already for next season

if i wanted to i could get a z but it could be no bigger then a 52" because i only have a 5' by 8' trailer and i know someone who says they could get me a used one for under 3500 with under 900 hours on it(good i don't know you tell me)

but if i wanted a new ztr i could borrow some money from parents or extend the deal with my grandpa and then purchase it but i don't know if any of them would do that

by getting a ztr dont you have alot of parts to maintain and fluid changes need to be more frequent then the average w/b

i think i will stop in by my dealer and get some prices on some ztr's just to see what they are going at new around here and to see if they got any used ones and those prices also

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, The deck mows the same, but the belts on the metro would probably slip if they get wet. GO HYDRO and do not look back - People keep saying "I would own a hydro if I could afford it, but the fact is you can not afford to not own a hydro".