1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

which mower to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Sep 30, 2000.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I have a small business (fulltime college student also) for which i handle an expanding account load of 35 weekly customers. I am debating on buying a 36 or a 48 encore next year, big upgrade on my 2, 33 inch troybilt mowers. What are my pros and cons, what would u guys do?

thanks,
    Dave

2. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

That is a lot of lawns you should move to ztr or maybe 52 inch w/b a sulky.It really depends on the gates.If there are not any gates get maybe a 61inch DC.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Look at the Great Dane "Scamper" model. Great mower, gets into tight spots, narrow body allows you to get right up to the edge of objects. I can mow faster with my 48" scamper than I can with my 52" Chariot due to the time I save not trimming as much.

My local dealer has 2 demos, both duel hydros that were demo units with full warranty, selling them for $3500.00 here in NC.

Ray

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to break it to ya KUTTER but Dixie doesnt make a 61"

5. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Go with a 44" ZTR w/ 17 hp kawasaki. Your best overall et. Buy now while they are cheap.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 48" Encore w/b hydro with sulky. I will only be using it as a back up or for those very tall junk yards. The hydro unit is all that makes this unit productive. I can't seem to find anything to make the spindle bearings last longer than about 5 mths. NO, its not because I don't grease them. The safety switches break easily because of poor design from the factory. It does cut nicely on a well maintained lawn at decent speed, but the slow blade tip speed allows it to skip alot on tall grass or weeds. I personally would not by another encore. I have an Exmark 36" and a new Exmark Lazar HP and love them both. The cut quality and design are far superior to the encore.

The best way I can think of to describe the encore is a walkbehind bushhog.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if i were you i would go with a 49 inch walk behind, preferably a scag. if any of your accounts have hills and such i would recommend the hydro over the belt drive. i have a belt drive at the moment and am going to purchase a turf tiger in the spring, but there are a few instances when a hydro would come in handy.

8. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

60"60"60"60"60" woop`s I meant 60" DC.

9. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

We all knew what you meant.

STICK-NInE

10. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

48 inch is a good size 36 is not productive enough 60 inch will tend to scalp