Which mower to buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TheHarleyMan, Apr 18, 2004.

1. TheHarleyMan

TheHarleyMan LawnSite Member

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have 2 properties with approx. 1.2 acres each of grass to mow. One property has three hills of 18 to 20 deg slopes. The other is one big hill, approx 16 deg, with intermittent semi flat areas. I purchased a Simplicity ZT2050 on Saturday, 4-17-04. I brought it home and tried to mow my properties with it. (I have used a ZT mower in the past so I don't think operation of the equipment is the problem.) I unloaded it from the trailer, and started to mow the first hill. I proceeded to spend the rest of my mowing experience either sliding down or attempting to get back up these hills. The tractor has very little traction and slides almost immediately if I try to operate on any kind of angle other than straight up and down. The mowing conditions were absolutely dry, no rain for 3 days. Mowing up and down is impossible on one of the hills due to deep ditch at the bottom. (Upon reading the manual when I got home, it states the tractor is not to be used on hills exceeding 10 deg). This tractor is being returned to the dealer on Monday. What suggestions do you have for its replacement.

2. WINGNUT

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

I've had pretty good results with a walk-behind mower. Do yourself a favor, though, and look at the hyrdo wb's instead of the beltdriven units. The belt drives are like a runaway train going down hill and you'll have to paddle the brakes a lot. You may want to look at a sulky for it, too. If price is a sticking point, look at the top of the page and check out the "Better Quick 36"---it looks like it may be a pretty good machine if you don't want to spend a lot.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler makes a unit made for the slopes you are describing.
    It is called the ATZ, and it is the only zero turn unit rated for slopes to 25 degrees.
    Here is a link and a pic of the unit.
    The Hustler ATZ
    [​IMG]

4. TheHarleyMan

TheHarleyMan LawnSite Member

Thanks to you who answered me. I wound up with another Simplicity, but a riding tractor this time. It is a Simplicity Conquest, 20 hp and 50" full floating deck. The dealer brought the unit to my house, unloaded it and proceeded to climb the steepest of the hills with no problem. The tractor has a differential lock and is hydrostatic. This thing climbs like a mountain goat. I like the idea of the Hustler ATZ, but I think the price is probably out of the question. Maybe in the future. Have a nice summer everybody.