Which mower to buy ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jun 5, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Help me out guys. I'm to the point where the 21" Toro Commerical WB is not getting the job done quick enough. Customer base has out grown this mower. Most of my lawns are 10,000 sq.ft. One at 25,000 sq.ft. and a large farm has aprox. 1.5 acres. What mower would you buy if you were me. Thanks for yout input. Mowman

2. snow

snow Guest

In your situation, i think i speak for some of the people when i say get a zero turn mower. After reading about them and seeing them in action, they seem perfect for your situation. I'm not saying ztrs are the only way to go, maybe you should get a hydro. It depends on if you're going to take on larger acounts and your budget. I currently also have a 21&quot;, but due to my age and lack of equipment storage,etc i have no choice. I know this is going to be a debate between dixies and lazers, so i'll stay out of it. Good luck with your decision!<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br>

3. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

What are your plans for future business? A ZTR is the way to go if you can justify the expense by the amount of work done / time saved. My choice would be a Dixie Chopper. <br>If you are currently doing as much work as you want then find a good used walk behind (Toro) 44&quot; or 52&quot;.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The sad truth is this.........you gotta pay to play, it costs money but if you plan on staying in it or growing, go ahead and take the plunge. A mower payment is sure incentive enough to get out there and drum up more!<p>Homer

5. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i would buy a 52in Greatdane surfer...4,900 and it will pay for it self in no time.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Demo a Hustler Short Cut,upper cut model with the bac vac unit. This is a multi purpose machine that the catcher comes off very easy and you have a rear discharge mower so you can trim mow in either direction and not worry about spraying anything with clippings.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Mowman,<br> I thought you bought a Walker?<br>If you have one,then buy one,they are excellent.<p>Karl<br>