Which mower to buy???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Jul 19, 2004.

?

Which mower to buy?

1. Gravely Hydro 48" floating deck 17 hp

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Wright Stander 48" floating deck 19 hp

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Gravely 148Z 21 hp

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would appreciate opinions on the three mowers. Right now my only mower is a 48 belt drive. I will keep the 48 belt as a backup and for nasty hills and small lawns.
    Most of my lawns are about 10;000 sq ft I have 4 that are about 1 to 1-1/2 acre. Thanks for your advice.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why not go with a 52" or 60" deck?

3. Liberty Lawncare

dvm on most of my lawns I have lots of trees and obsticles to deal with the 48 size seems to work well for me.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

my recomendation would be to get the stander. it would be good for the tight areas on the small lawns yet still go fast enough on the streight aways to almost match the performance of a rider.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Personally I'd go with a 48" hydro then, A ztr in 48" just doesn't make sense to me,not enough productivity for a Z.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though I own a Great dane Surfer, I'd say get the Stander. I've used WB's ( hydro and belt ) and Sit down Ztr's as well. But I hadn't used a Stand-up machine until I demoed my Surfer. It is as fast as most ZTR's ( not Dixie or Hustler Super Z fast, but more than fast enough..), Super manueverable, Doesn't hurt my back,and doesn't take up as much room as a ZTR or a WB.. If there's a Dane dealer ( that you like ) nearby, check one out, or better yet, Go to a Deere dealer and demo a Quick track.. It's the same machine as my Dane, With an arguably better deck..DEMO all of them on YOUR properties, Hope I helped, man..

7. Liberty Lawncare

Thanks for your suggestion. I was leaning towards the stander, but wanted to get some other opinions.

I've never heard of a great dane & didn't know JD had anything like this. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The stander is the only way to go. But I would recommend the 52" model over the 48". For two reason the 48" has a lower blade speed than the 52" and the 48" has very little deck over hang compared to the 52". Nothing beats a stander on small compact lawns. But still can do the large open areas. The danes and deeres are a joke compared to the stander.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Greeny, no insult meant, but to you get paid by Wright to bash products other than theirs? I'm very currious. It seems to me that if you don't own it , it's not worth having, At least that's how you portray yourself to me ..

10. Liberty Lawncare

I looked at the deere it has plastic belt covers and the rear tire fenders look plastic also. That surprised me,after seeing that plastic I lost alot of respect for deere. The dane looked alot like the wright but no dealers near me closest dealer is about 35 miles.

When I demo a stander I will try the 52 and see if it works out on my obsticle course lawns.