1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which mower will work best?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 23, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at mowers in my price range today and pretty much have the scag freedom z 48" with a 26hp briggs as my only option. It is about $5,000.00.
    Would this machine be worth getting? Is it a good quality and enough power to last me a few years or should I use the $5,000.00 and get a really nice commercial WB?
    Please compare the two for me, I would really like a rider because 20-30 accounts will be really hard standing up. I need quality also....
  2. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Cub Cadet dealer you could look at the 48" enforcer. It is an mid level commercial mower and should be about $4800.00.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i would go with the wb mow for a year and then put a nice down payment on a turf tiger. you will end up selling that freedom in a couple years anyway, plan ahead. not to mention you wont look like a joke
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know why you consider 20 or 30 lawns to be hard with a walkbehind? How large are they and are there any obsticles or hills on them?
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That many lawns isn't hard with a WB with sulky. Is there something wrong with your knees or back?????
  6. stevenf

I do have slight issues with a bad ankle and lowerback but usually only under alot of stress.
    20-30 lawns is my complete random estimate. I will be targeting ANYTHING so there could be hills, big yards, and so on....
    I need something with quality and long life. Right now I have a 14hp 44 inch cut lawnboy so that is a MAJOR!!!! upgrade.
  7. stevenf

Basically, I would much rather a rider and the question is,,, Are these a good overall quality and performer or should I spend another $1,500.00 and go for something bigger?
    Keep in mind I just started this summer and had 9 accounts. Plan on really getting into it next season.
  8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

go for a 19hp kawasaki on a 48'' or 52'' scag pulling a sulky, great mower tons of power
  9. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We all love a nice new tractor but don't rule out a good used, low hour, trade in or private sale ztr. Many dealers are looking for a quick sale on trade in's and they usually offer a limited warranty. Don't forget to look it over good and do some haggling, especially this time of year.
  10. stevenf

Ive looked it over and ask around about used and demos for sale and noone has any.
    Do the prices usually drop drastically during the winter?
    also, Is the freedom Z worth it? I just need a good cutting long lasting mower and I know scag has that reputation... Also, Im not going any higher then a 48" if thats what most of you mean by better.......