1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which mower would you most like to carry?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kturner, Jul 7, 2001.

1. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

Most of our lawns are tiny and perched at the bottom of many stairs. Any suggestions for a real light mower? Right now I'm running a super light Craftsman push 21". I find the self propelled models add at least enough pounds to break my back on these hills. But, I'd like to step up from Craftsman obviously, something with some suction maybe, and nothing else is even close to as light.
    What do you guys do about stairs?

He who has contracts loves the drought.
  2. Honda

both built to last and some what light weight
  3. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

I don't know, the ones I've checked in the shop are a little heavy for the amount of carrying I do. I have to carry it for about a minute and a half or so for a handful of places. Maybe I need to check out the homeowner's versions.
  4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

lawnboy is the lightest mower there is should be lighter than a crapsman .
    lawn boy is also the best 21" self propelled mower i have had dont know about the toro pase setter but i bet they weigh more than a lawn boy.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if Snapper still makes this model, or a model equivalent to this, but I have two old Snappers that are 19" cut with the old 2 cycle Tecumseh engines. These at that time were the lightes mowers you could buy. They have the nice high solid mounted handles that don't kill your back bending over, and because they are solid mounted, they are great for manuevering. When used (for trimming), these mowers would spend as much time being pivoted sideways as they would going forward backward. Anyway, I could hike these mowers up on to the overhead shelf on the trailer like they weren't even there, and could hand them down with one hand. These mowers are about 16-17 years old now, and still going strong.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Since this is your situation, why not buy an old fashioned style reel mower. No motor, you just push. They cut great, and most are very light. Plus, you would have no fuel cost and oil cost to deal with.
  7. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Lawnboy is the lightest com mower & it has a handle in front of the engine so it is no problem carrying it down those stairs. I lift LB's around cars in driveways, down stairs, over fences. Light & powerful.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Runner, I have the same mower! A customer gave it too me last year. I can push this ,mower up a hill with one hand and could carry it with no problem for 10 minutes if i had too!
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How about one of those push reel mowers that al gore wants us all to use.
  10. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Honda with the xenoy deck. Even if you don't use the self propell it's still light enough you can push without breaking your back.