1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which mower???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jknowles4, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jknowles4

jknowles4 LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a new walkbehind for the up and coming year and can't decide. I know I need a 36" to get into most of my backyards but needed a little advice. I have narrowed it down to a Wright 36" stander and a exmark 36" walkbehind. The Wright is nice but I am a little leary on the deck adjustment. It only has the caster adjusters. Anyone have any experience with these? It looks a little time consuming to adjust but what are you're opinions? Both units will run around $3500. Thanks in advance for the advice.
  2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not have experience with these mowers but I have researched Exmark mowers. They build some great machines! I would definitely go with Exmark!
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Caster adjustment has been fine on my 48" eXmark. In your decision, i think it all comes down to weather you want to walk or ride. The wright i would gues would be alot faster than the WB. eXmark makes a great product IMO. How would you be changing the height on the wright?
  4. jknowles4

jknowles4 LawnSite Member

The wright changes height with the casters also. Do you change heights that often? It seems last year I was always changing heights. Also, the Wright's height change is caters on the front only.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I change heights quite a bit, not hard though, shouldn't be even with the wright, just drive up trailer with one caster hanging to the side of the ramp, change spacers, then repeat on the opposite side, thats what i do with my eXmark WB. I have never changed the height other than with the front casters either, works fine!! Good Luck

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

how about checkin out the new exmark 34inch zero turn or maybe the scagg tiber cub.
  7. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I have a Gravley 34Z for all my yards and it's great.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it doesn't sport a T-bar, I don't operate it.

Far as deck size, I find the 44-48" is the most universal fit. These are the largest decks that will still fit through MOST single gates. The 52" is the first size will NOT fit through anything except double gates. In addition, the 48" is the ONLY size comes as a fixed deck and also does NOT come as a float deck. The fixed deck is sturdy and built like a tank, there is no clatter when curb-jumping, no springs and clips come flying off when you hit a bump, and it sports the 5-speed transmission. It is lighter, faster, and is to float-decks what a straight razor is to scissors. Most barbers cut hair with scissors, only a pro knows how to cut hair with a straight razor (and if it hurts, he ain't a pro). And of course, the straight razor is cheaper, as is the fixed deck.

Far as 3-foot gates? Sorry, I don't cut those yards because it takes longer to cut with a smaller mower and folks are not willing to pay the extra it costs when it does.

The pistol-grip 30-36" mower can be found left and right, these machines get handed down from one broke business owner to the next year after year. I know this because I see the same machines used by one guy after the other, yup, year in and year out.

Try and find a used 40+" Toro sometime, and you'll see what I mean - If a machine is ueber-rare, that tells me it is the machine to get.
    Everything else is a POS.
  9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

JK If you can get either one of those machines for 3500 (Viking ) that is a real deal. Don't forget to add the money for a sulky on the Exmark.
  10. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

here in Tn to hilly for Stander.