which mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by drewskee032, Sep 25, 2006.

1. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

I need a good mid-sized walk behind mower for about or less than $5000. I think im ganna get either a hustler trim star hydro or an exmark turf tracer HP. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they good hill climbers/going downers? (there are lots of hills that i need to mow) How are the steering on these mowers? Is one better than the others?

Thanks!

2. JrSlivkalandscaping

JrSlivkalandscaping LawnSite Member

i love my exmark and lesco

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I can't speak for the Hustler, but I love my turf tracer.

It's pretty good on hills, too. Any walk behind is going to be a little better on steeper hills due to its lower center of gravity.

I'd try and get your hands on both to demo. They use very different controls, and you might like one style better than the other.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Turf tracer HP is a very popular mower. You should be able to get a brand new one and still have some change left over from that $5000.

5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

The Exmark Controles are comfy. I would venture that way. My dealer has a Wright Velky 48" 17hp mower for 4600. Look at www.wrightmfg.com.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I like red-- But I never used the yellow one
    Demo Demo Demo. Both mowers will be go for your use, but there will be a difference in the way they feel to u. check them both out-- for a while, not just one circle in the showroom

7. drewskee032

Also, I would want a cheap but ruggedly built sulky to go with it...any ideas? (i want pretty much as cheep as i can get for a "middle of the line" one)

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The exmark standon retails for like 285, I think I paid 270 for mine.

If I could do it again, I'd probably get a proslide(still thinking about getting one).

9. drewskee032

whats the difference?

10. drewskee032

which mower has a better quality cut and better/easer to control steering do u guys think between the hustler and exmark?