which mower???

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mdw, Aug 8, 2001.

1. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

Due to a family loss, I now have to cut about 5 acres/week. It has only a few trees and is relatively flat but not exceptionally smooth. I spend 5-6 hours on a 48" 14 hp Cub Cadet.

I have been considering the Exmark Lazer Z and Lazer HP and also a ToroZ253/255. I may want to bag.

What brand/model/hp/deck size do you suggest.

Thanks for any help
    Dave

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dave,

Cutting 5 acres of grass with a lawn tractor can't be much fun and it is probably taking up most of your Saturday’s. The Lazer HP or the Toro either one would be more than adequate. I of course would much rather see you buy an Exmark however. What cutting width you want depends upon how much time you want to spend cutting. My personal favorite Lazer HP is the 52" because of the added trimming capability, it's easier to operate and it has a slight edge in traction.

A lot of commercial cutters can cut at full ground speed but keep in mind they know the lawns and know how, and when to cut them. For the average homeowner in open spaces plan on running at around 6 mph which would put your production in the 2.1 -2.5 acres per hour range. I'm sure your Cub Cadet is a fine machine but it's definitely not going to cut grass as fast as a Lazer HP and 5 acres per week would be quite a work out for any lawn tractor over a period of a year or two.

My recommendation would be to consider mulching instead of bagging. Bagging 5 acres of grass is going to take a great deal of time and the mulching is better for the grass anyway. If however you do want to bag, the UltraVac for the Lazer HP has been a solid performer for us. Additionally it can be completely removed to allow you to side discharge again in minutes. I'm not sure if the Toro has a vac system available at this time.

Please let me know if you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Terry