which mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zim bob the landscaper, Aug 3, 2007.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i should be getting a ZTR finally... we have narraowed it down to 6 brands. Hustler, Exmark, Scag, toro, Gravely, and dixie chopper. i can get a used 2004 hustler super Z with 66" deck with a back-vac for $7300 also the guy will give us a warranty on it. but i dont know if i should go brand new or not. if i do im leaning more towards Toro, Gravely, and dixie chopper but im also thinking of scag now. i also need a bagger because i will be bagging my lawns in 2 months. so i dont know if i should get a triple bagger or a clam shell bagger. i dont know much about ZTRs so im asking u what would be best for me. my lawns go from 1.5 acres to 5 acres. most of my lawns have sprinkler systems with thick thick lush lawns. i do have hills so i need something good for that. also need power. so i also dont know what i should get for engine choice i want to get a liquid cooled so it will last longer. also the same guy is selling a wright stander for $2700 61" in awesome shape works great. but i want somthing with a big bagger not a side discharge bagger. im probably going to get one by next week. i want at least a 60" deck and if i have to ill get a 52".

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Look at BAD BOY with a 35 hp diesel with an ACS MEG MO blades. With that you will have enough power and won't need the bagger.
  3. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Any one of those will be fine, but I would stay away from DC, not much impressed with it. Just curious, you have almost 1500 posts but never own a Z??? ...so simple no Z no honey...
  4. zim bob the landscaper

i have been using a 52" wb for my lawns but they are just to big for a walkbehind and its taking to long so i need to get a Z. also i have used s dixie chopper and realy liked it what didnt you like about it if you dont mind me asking?
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO...remind me never to invite you out to dinner. We'd never eat! :laugh:
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

All those mowers are great choices, you should demo some if you can. See which dealer is going to give you the best support to. Hello Rod !
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

As TNT mentioned, all the brands you named are top of the line. But to add one thing, Z's are not the best choice for steep hills. Not sure how steep your hills are. Just be careful.
  8. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

i would say get the hustler, they are the fastest mowers with the longest warranties originally, and if the guy is gonna give you a warranty on it thats even better. if you dont have good hustler support then go with the mower with the best support in your area.
  9. zim bob the landscaper

thanks, the hills we will use it on are not that bad. if they are to steep ill just use the w/b.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You say you have been using a 52" w/b, but "it takes too long." And, you suggest a Z would probably be 52" cutting width, maybe 60". My point is how much productivity do you expect to improve? Depending upon the properties, a Z may be no more productive than your w/b. Or, it may be slightly more productive. Do you have a sulky that you use with your w/b? Your w/b will be more easily turned than a Z, so you will have to gain productivity with speed. If the straight runs are short, you will not see much change.

Just for reference, I have a 36" w/b with sulky, and a 48" ZTR. In some places, my w/b is more productive than the ZTR, or about the same. Only where I can make substantial better ground speed with the ZTR do I gain productivity. And, the ZTR is 12" wider.

The reasons for my questions is that you may be preparing to spend large money on a ZTR, at little ROI. This is especially true if you are unable to use the ZTR on some places you now mow with the w/b, and will have to continue with the w/b.

I work solo, and am a small operator. After buying the ZTR during last season, and running it for about 400 hours, I have learned I am able to use it about half time. I can never pay for the machine and maintenance with the added productivity (perhaps 4-6 extra jobs per week). I made the purchase because of my age, intending to save some steps and perhaps extend my longevity in the business.

You may have other reasons to buy a ZTR. But, if working solo, and moving from a 52" w/b to a 52" ZTR may not be worth the money.