which mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by scrjunky6, Jul 17, 2004.

1. scrjunky6

scrjunky6 LawnSite Member

Hi i'm very new to lawn care and lawn mowers...i'm interested in anyone who can tell which mower (21") between 200-500$ would be good for my yard..and with what mower could i achieve decent looking stripes..if you could just give me info on some mowers (key features, etc.) that would be great thanks

2. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnboy commercial. cant go wrong.

3. Jimbosc

Jimbosc LawnSite Member

Can you do striping with a regular walk behind??

Lawnboy Commercial is probably more that $500.

Forget striping - how big is your yard, do you plan to bag or mulch, do you have hills or slopes, if yes how steep, do you want self propel or is a simple push mower OK??

Answer those and someone can probably make a recommendation.

Jim

4. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

Lawnboy silver series will go for approx $350.00-400.00 at lowes or home depot. Very clean cut and easy maintenance. Best bang for the buck IMO.

5. scrjunky6

i was looking at the toro super recycler or the recycler self propelled 6 hp or 6.75..bag or mulch depending on the height of the grass..oh and are troy bilt mowers junk my friend says they are but when i ask why he doesn't give me a reason besides they aren't built good

6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ariens 21", built like a tank and will mulch, bag, discharge. A bit heavier than most mowers, but very nice cut and many years of service. I had one with the castor wheels and absoluely loved it. I then upsized to a commercial unit and sold it. I'd also look at the honda's as well as the Toro's sold by a dealer, not the box store wannabee's

7. scrjunky6

how much do those cost

8. dwost

It's going to be on the high side of your budget. I paid $565 for mine about 5 years ago. They are still priced in that ballpark. Honda and Toro all offer models in that price range. Of course you can spend a bit more with all three of these brands.

9. dwost