Which Mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hacksquat, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business. I have 4 accounts now. One account is approximately 2.5 acres. The other 3 accounts are less than 1 acre. I have a sears craftsman 42" riding mower, 21" cub cadet mower, stihl trimmer, stihl blower, and 6 1/2 X 12 trailer. This equipment is paid for. I hope to obtain more accounts in the spring. I want to finance a larger mower. It's very clear that my sears mower wouldn't hold up. This would be my only payment. I've looked at the zero turn mowers, and walk behinds. I like the exmark products. I'm not sure what to get. I'm 6' 4", and weigh 304 lbs. I'm not sure if I could ride a sulky behind a walk behind. Any advice?
  2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i would look at exmark. they make great mowers. i have demoed their lazer z hp and turf tracer hp. they're awesome. and the weight my sulky will do is 300 and i have a 15 horse engine

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Exmarks are good, so are Toro ZTRs. I don't hear many people talk about the Toro's, but they are sweet machines.

I guess with a Velke/sulky, if it won't pull your weight, you could always sell it.
  4. tacraven

tacraven LawnSite Member

Choose a 48" Exnark or Scag belt drive. They are cheap and will last a while. I am going from Exmark to Scag. Most Scags have an electric clutch for the blade drive. Do the back yards with the small mower until you have money and the clients for a 36". Get a 2 wheel velke. They work great.