Which Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EasylyConfused, Jan 8, 2005.

?

Which brand of mower do you prefer overall

1. John Deere

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Kubota

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Exmark

37 vote(s)
    53.6%
  4. Bob-Cat

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

I have a small, 1 year old lawn mowing buisness. I currently own an JD L110, Canadian Tire 21" multch mower, weed eater, a rake, broom, and a couple pairs of gloves. I'm looking at investing into a new Zero Turn Radius mower. My only options here in Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada,) are a Kubota, John Deere, Exmark or Bobcat. I was leaning towards John Deere because my little L110 does a great job cutting. The Kubota however seems to have a supperior build quality, and engine especially. I don't know much about Exmark, and very little about Bobcat. Anyone have any advice as to which company I should go with? The cut is important to me. How does a Kubota, Exmark, and Bobcat cut in comparison to a JD.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

JD will have the best cut by far. i run both john deere and exmark and would recomend either to you. i have a JD757 and an exmark lazer Z both with 60" decks. bobcat i know nothing about and as for kubota well they make good tractors never thought of trying their mowers.

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

oh exmark does have a more userfriendly bagging system than JD does. if your planning on baggin alot like for leaf removals then exmark might the way to go.

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with either exmark or bobcat

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

All are good brands. Out of the choices I would go with Exmark if the dealer support is good.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the main thing is that you have good dealer support after the sale.

I can tell you from experience that there is almost nothing worse than waiting a month for your dealer to get a part in for you. remember, it's the service after the sale that counts.

personally I like exmark and kubota. all commercial ztr's are going to perform well. the only difference is what works in your regional area and grass types.

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Out of the mowers listed I have only used Exmark and JD, The Exmark being a 04 laser Z and The JD being my very first mower which was a 38" walk behind. I chose Exmark because I do not like the 7 iron deck. I'm not sure how much they have changed their design over the last 13 years but my JD didn't disperse grass good, do to the shallow deck. It did leave a clean cut though. Most mowers use a deeper deck design which allows the grass to stay up under the deck longer which cut the grass in smaller sizes.

With that said, I would look at Hustler and Dixe Chopper. They are both good mowers. The Dixie has a great cut and the Hustler also has a pretty decent cut. The Hustler is the best all around mower I have owned.

8. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

Thanks For the input. I'm worried about putting $7000+ into a tractor that I may not be happy with. Unfortunatly, I don't know where to find a Hustler or Dixie here in Winnipeg. Travelling out of town is not really an option, if something ever goes wrong, I'm sunk. How is the Exmarks bagging system better than the JD's? More suction? Easier to remove? Thanks for all the help!

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally would go with the exmark. jd is just junk in my opinioin. a co i used to work for a few years ago had 45 j ds and everyone of them could not even compare to the exmark that i bought. i even used it there to show the boss that he needed to get some real equipment but he said he didnt have the money. then i said look at you repairs you have had to do to them surely you have the money. still to this day they still have jd and they just cant get a property to look half way decent.

10. thegrassmastersinc

thegrassmastersinc LawnSite Member

Why isnt Toro on the list??