Which Mulching Blade Works Best

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gravely08, Jul 15, 2008.

1. gravely08

gravely08 LawnSite Member

I Need Help Finding Mulching Blades For My Gravely 260z. I Am Using Hi Lift Factory Blades Currently. We Have Gotten A Lot Of Rain Here In The Midwest, And The Grass Is Really Growing. When We Side Discharge With The Current Blades We Are Getting A Lot Of Large Clippings. I Am Looking For A Blade That Will Chop Up The Clippings Smaller And Not Have To Double Cut To Make It Look Nice.

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Gator Hi-Lift mulchers, these things are INCREDIBLE. I've used just about everything, these are great! You'll prob have to special order them.

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the above or go add a mulch kit if feasible.

4. gravely08

gravely08 LawnSite Member

Thanks For The Input, I Ordered The Gator Mulching Hilift Blades Today.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If the grass is too wet, the gators will sometimes clump the clippings if you side discharge. I love my gators but have to double cut some lawns if it was wet and had long grass. Other than that I really like mine.

6. naturescape

Tell us how you like them!

7. Hate2Rake

Hate2Rake LawnSite Member

I have the mulch kit on my 48" ExMark and it seems to do well with the regular Gators, I wonder if the high lift would make a difference? Is it best to keep the mulch kit on or take it off and just run the Gators?

8. naturescape

I have a mulch kit for my 48" Turf Tracer. It is HORRIBLE with regular gators, nearly unusable. You need the stock Exmark mulching blades with it. Keep in mind I'm in Michigan. So may be much different in NC.

I also have been wondering how the hi-lift Gators would work w/ the mulch kit. I may try it in fall, but I don't think I'll need to add the mulch kit.

9. BOBANDJANM

BOBANDJANM LawnSite Member

I Have An Exmark Lazer Z A/s 60" Ultra-cut Deck...

I Have A Lot Of Jobs That I Only Do On A Monthly Basis,
    Vacant Lots Etc, Since Grass Is Tall I Sometimes Have
    To Double Cut, Would It Help To Run The Gator Mulching
    Blades With The Discharge Chute Open Or Do The Have To
    Be Used With A Mulch Kit Installed ???
    Thx
    Stumpgrinder

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I use Gators always and with out mulcing kit. I like my side discharge free so i can use the mower to quickley blow off drives and walks if it feasable.