Which names sounds best?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RyanD, Sep 19, 2005.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I am just now starting my business and am trying to come up with a name. We will be offering services such as mowing, gutter cleaning, mulch applications, shrub trimming and removal, and spring / fall cleanups. I have already decided on the main name but wondered what words I should use to describe the business. Evergreen Lawn Care - Evergreen Property Services - Evergreen Outdoor services - Evergreen Property Maintenance. Which do you think sounds best. Or do you have other ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Easyrider241

Easyrider241 LawnSite Member

You might be able to run a search on your county, or state website to check and see if anyone has registered any of those names ... Evergreen Property Services, Evergreen Property Maintenance, I think both of those sound very professional good luck :)

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Consider how many "Evergreens" there may be out there. A quick search found these. Not that it is not a good name, it is, just relatively common. These are just the ones on the net.

www.evergreenlawns.com
    www.evergreenlawncareinc.com
    www.evergreenlawnservice.com/

Choose a name that will adequately cover your realm of services. If you want to sell lawn care, then use "Lawn Care." Use something like "property management" if you want to essentially manage the entire exterior of a property. If you dont provide all those services today, you may want to down the road and your name will be able to support your goals of expansion. Good job on not picking the first name your friends threw at you~

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do not use lawn care unless you are actually doing lawn care. This term is WAY over used - mainly by people who don't even have a full understanding of it's definition. As years go by, you will learn that there are different terms used for different types of operations. These are actual text terms used in college text, as a matter of fact.
    Contrary to popular opinion, "mowing", "trimming", and "shrub trimming" is NOT lawn care...it is maintenance.
    Lawn care is the fertiklization and chemical end of the spectrum. If you are doing this, then yes, I would use the term. If you are doing this and more, I would use the term management or services.
    Personally, for YOUR name - "Evergreen", I like the "Outdoor" following it, because they are both open vowel words and are easy to say - therefore would be easier to remember. Just make sure you have the term "services" following it. Nice choice, by the way. Good luck with it.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Number 3 :D Maintenance

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Property Management is not Landscape Management.nor is it Landscape Maintenance.
    they are different jobs.
    Property Managers rent out properties,have them cleaned,painted and repaired and hire people to maintain the landscaping,pay those workers,bill the renters and recieve the payments and send the money to their clients after taking their fee out.
    That is what Property Managers do.It is not Landscape Management at all.
    Property Managers HIRE Landscape Maintenance people.

7. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Runner, don't you think customer perception might play an overriding role here? I think that for the average homeowner, "lawn care" means mowing, trimming, etc., and while it's true that to a knowledgeable professional such as yourself the term is inaccurate, most of the people that the service is advertised to will understand the term to mean these services, and to me that would seem to be the most important thing.

Just my 2 cents, as they say.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Good point. But believe it or not, there are people that do know the difference. And even with that aside, let's look at it from a different perspective. Once you name yourself "lawn care", you have almost set a limit on yourself for customer perception for the vast majority. For instance, once in business, and a few years experience gets accumulated, an operator discovers that there is WAY more money in doing installs and other work than what there is in mowing. Well, when people are going through ads, and they want someone to come in and take care of their shrubs, trees, beds, irrigation system, plant some new bushes, remulch, and possibly take care of their lot (sweeping, plowing, salting), they will glance by this ad that says (lawn care) and go on to the ones that say Property or Landscape Maintenance, or say Landscape Management. They MIGHT even call Sheshovel! LOL :)

9. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow LawnSite Member

I would go with Lawn Maintenance after your company's name. I see too many companies around here that call themselves for example "Dan's Landscaping" and all they do is simple lawn maintenance (mowing). As for Evergreen, I too agree that it is a common name. Good luck.

10. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Your point is well taken, Runner. I happen to love cutting grass and don't really envision myself wanting to get into installs, but given enough time that may change. At any rate, I'll admit to a little tunnel vision regarding the "lawn care" name. :)