Which New Core Aerator???

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mark Hubert, May 17, 2011.

1. Mark Hubert

Mark Hubert LawnSite Member

I'm looking at purchasing a new aerator for some small lawns and have been doing some research, but still unsure on to what I need/want. I do about 10-20 lawns around town and really only aerate, power rake and fertilize them. I got a couple kids around town doing the mowing on there own. My old core aerator doesn't even have a name or s/n on it, it looks like its from the 60s, but still worked. I've been checking into Billy Goat and Bluebird, and leaning toward the billy.

My requirements are: Needs to be very reliable and do a great job. Needs to be productive, with few breakdowns/maintenance issues.

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

I'm accused of being biased but I'd go for the Billy Goat. :) Seriously, for the quantity of lawns you've indicated you may be better off renting. By renting you've not tied up your capital, you have no storage and up-keep. You know your numbers better than I do and if it makes sense to you by all means buy one though. (.. think Billy Goat) I was just giving you a different perspective.
  3. Mark Hubert

Mark Hubert LawnSite Member

The Force:

I should have explained a little more. Renting was definitely considered, however our town has roughly 2500 people in it and the nearest town with a landscape service is 25 miles away. So people are charged an outrageous costs for landscape services. I can pay for the aerator in one year and basically this is just a hobby on the weekends.

Why the billy?
  4. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I like my ryan. I saw a husqvarna yesterday that look pretty nice. The outer plugs were self rotating making it easier to turn.
  5. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Jrco hooker aerators. I have one for sale if you want. If you want maintenance to be minimal, don't have an engine ( like the jrco)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. bmac1996acc

bmac1996acc LawnSite Member
    from in GA

Ryan 28 or Plugr 855
  7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Just wondering why you would want a "old school" back breaking type instead of one of the new easy to run ones like the Turfco, Lawn Solutions or Plugr style.
  8. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Cheaper entry price for only 20 lawns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

We just picked up a new classen 28 split drum which has been very dependable and versatile for us. Classen owns little wonder now as well checkk them out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

YouTube. Search lawn solutions aerator.

You won't be dissapointed
    Posted via Mobile Device