1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which of these engines for Laser...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jfmx345, Nov 28, 2006.

1. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I found a local dealer that has new-in-crates '05 Exmark Lasers with 60" ULTRACUT decks,

One has the Kohler 28efi,
    The other is Briggs Vangaurd 31.

Same price for either... which one would you buy?
  2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Kohler 28 EFI Thats a no brainer with fuel prices going way up. You'll like it. I'm surprised they are giving you the same price on either engine, I thought the efi is higher priced. ?? Great mower too.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are air cooled,the briggs for more power and better resale.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I dont know if they have more power persay, I read somewhere the Kawi's had more torque in similar engines but the Briggs has 3 more ponies, that might not apply here. I would think the fuel injected would have more trade in value. But I honestly don't have any experience in either of these engines. We just ordered a Lazer HP 50" Triton w/27hp Kholer, the dealer siad it was kinda over kill but the more ponies the better I say.
  5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

6. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

The efi engine would normally be about $900 more than the Briggs. However I believe the Briggs engine was only available on the Lazer XS for 2005. This machine is heavier and has larger pumps and a bit pricier than the regular Lazer Z. So the price is about the same because of the difference in the model lazer.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

What are they selling for ?
  8. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

The way it was explained to me is that in 2005, both of these mowers were actually XS models(bigger pumps etc...) But there was no actual XS model designator then. So both mowers are comparable to the '06 XS models.
    Either mower is going for $8700

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Do efi engines run into problems.
  10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

go briggs it's more power you can really feel it
    less to go wrong repair wise