which of these would you buy?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by cmoore, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I will try this for the third time, I think I figured out my posting problem.

Anyway I am going to demo two Exmarks next week and I am curious what people think is the best deal. It will be for residential use and I will put around 65 hours per year on it and plan to keep it quite awhile. I may be able to get the prices a little lower, but they have given me a pretty fair number on my trade in, so I think a couple hundred off listed is the best I will do.

Both come with full warranty and are in great condition.

2003 28 hp. Kohler EFI, 72" DEMO $7,499 450 hours
    2003 27 hp. Kohler, 60" DEMO $7,299 150 hours

Both mowers will be plenty big for me but the EFI and the bigger deck is what I am leaning towards before the demo. Any thoughts about the high hours compared to the other mower?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

In my opinion 450 hours on a demo is a deal you want to stay away from. It's a demo......read abused. The 60" with 150 hours seems a bit overpriced as well. Too many hours for a demo for me.

For residential use you can buy a 60" 23 horse lazer for the same price as the 27 horse 60" with 150 hours. The 23 horse will serve you just fine for residential use.

3. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

i like the bigger deck

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Is this machine only for residential use???

What size are the properties you will be mowing?
    Unless it is all flat and wide-open, the 60" could be a better choice.
    A larger deck will have a tendency to scalp more than a smaller deck if the ground is not even, and obviously, it will not fit as well in tight spots.

Personally, I would avoid a machine with 450 DEMO hours on it, but thats just my opinion.

You may want to post this in the Commercial Lawn Care Forum, to get a few more views from people with experience with both machines.

5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

The 27 Kohler with the 60" deck will disappoint you I believe. I have used one and I have a friend with one. Its ok and has an awesome cut but its just not enough power. I cant comment on the other unit as I have never used it.
    I have a 52" with the 20hp and I find whiles its been an awesome mower I wish I had the 27 hp Kohler on it.
    The 52" is the right size for me . It does wide open spaces really well but allows me into some tight spots.
    I tried out the one with the 27 hp Kohler and its is an awesome machine.
    450 hrs isnt a high amount of hours for these machines.
    You should get 2000 or more from them.
    The efi would probably be an awesome machine for you.
    What kind of grass do you mow? Do you ever mow overgrown lawns? More power = more satisfaction.

6. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Thanks for your input.

The 450 hour machine was one of two that a larger corporation used for the summer, the other one is already sold. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it was used to mow huge open areas without all of the normal turning.

The prices seem a little high for the hours, but this dealer can offer me about $750 more for my trade in because of their size and product line. So if I figure that in I think the deal is fairly good.

I have about 6 acres to mow so either will be plenty. The deck big deck shouldn't have any problems with scalping on my site.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Cmoore,

Both machines are priced well below our MSRP and have relatively low hours. Either one should perform in your applications. I'd recommend asking the dealer if you can demo both of them on your property to see which one you like the best.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

8. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Well after all of this I will probably not be buying either of these demo machines. While searching this forum I found a dealer that was selling the new 2004's pretty cheap. He said he would give me a fair price on my mower plus a great price on a new Exmark ($7650.) Hopefully by Wednesday I will own a new 2004.

Thanks for the help,
    Chris

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Which 2004?

10. cmoore

cmoore LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

It's just a plain Lazer Z with the 27hp and 60 inch deck. He did mention that it has a rollbar.