Which of these ZTRs would you buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowniacal, Sep 4, 2005.

1. mowniacal

mowniacal LawnSite Member

I know some of you get tired of this question, so sorry about that; however, most of the discussion I have seen surrounds quality of cut. What I'm specifically looking for is durability because most of the mowing will be pasture land, which will have its share of knolls, ridges and bumps.

The following machines are all available to me within 5 to 10 miles or so and all are good dealers with in-house service and parts departments, etc. In order of proximity to my house:

Grasshopper and Gravely (same dealer but they push the Grasshopper)
    John Deere (the new 997 looks like a beast)
    eXmark
    Toro and Scag (same dealer but they push the Toro)
    Dixie Chopper (32 HP Guardian diesel, lifetime frame warranty)

There is also a Hustler dealer about 40 miles away and I would consider it if there was a compelling case for that mower (like the 34 HP Caterpillar Diesel)

If money were no object (though it is), which machine would be best for durability of frame, engine, spindles, etc.? I'm probably going to look at the maximum machine from each. I want to still be using this 10 or more years from now after mowing 20+ acres a week with it.

Any comments or discussion would be greatly appreciated (regarding durability or anything else noteworthy).

Thanks much,

Dan P

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Get a mid mount Grasshopper with a Kubota diesel and it will last you that long.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get the Dixie. It will cut your pasture land better and faster. It also has a heavy duty hydro system.

John

4. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hustler cat. That thing is a beast.

5. mowniacal

mowniacal LawnSite Member

Travis, I forgot about Ferris, which one of the eXmark dealers also carries. 31.5 HP diesel and independent suspension sure sounds nice. Would you change your recommendation to it or still advise towards the Grasshopper w/Kubota? (I think I know the answer.)

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris is built way heavier than grasshopper. Take a look for yourself. The ferris spindles are HUGE and the suspension is silky smooth. However, they generally cost more than the rest.

7. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

you want strong. go with the scag. they are strongest there is out there. and cut nice to. scag turf tiger really good machines. i think the best out there and i dont even own one anymore.. next hustler super z. fast 15mph. but if price is that big of difference for you go with the toro or dixie chopper.. exmarks are the same as toro's but more money and i think there toro deck cuts way better to.

8. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

If you happen to be near Rockmount, NC, Thomas Nursery there carries Bad Boy. These things are Super Tough with 1/4" thick decks, great accessibility, oversized hydraulic components and a great company behind them.

Of the ones you listed for your purposes I would lean toward a 2XX series Gravely or a Grasshopper.

Good luck,
    Doc

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Are you talking about Rocky Mount, NC maybe? Cause I've been in NC almost 50 years and I've never heard of a Rockmount anywhere here....but then again I've also never seen Bad Boy mower anyway here either....or a Dixie....

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the very best quality of cut is not a prerequisite,all of those brands would be a top-notch durable brand.

Scags are built like tanks; Exmark Lazer-Z is a very durable mower with a top-notch quality cut,and the Dixie is the fastest and is tough and durable to. I would suggest demo as many of the brands as you can, under your conditions, and going with whichever one has the best dealer support.