Which Oil to run in a Zero Turn Kawi Engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Angelski28, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Angelski28

Angelski28 LawnSite Member

I am wondering what oil you guys think is best to run in a 24 HP Kawasaki engine. It sits on a bob-cat zero turn. Manual says 10w-30 but wondering if I should use synthetic or not. Let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

2. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I run synthetic in everything. I usually bump up the viscosity rating one notch from conventional oil (ie. mobile one 15-40w synthetic, etc.). I also add a zink additive to each service since they pulled the zink from most all oils.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

If you use motorcycle specific oils it will have the old.SG and SJ ratings that have higher levels of zddp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Try kawasaki oil. Its partial synthetic or something like that. Real good oil and half the price.

5. mtmower

I'll have to look into this closer. The zddp or zink additive I found locally is $18 a bottle which does up to 6 qt. Which is ridiculous. Do they offer these in synthetic and what viscosities have you found? I did find a Mobile One racing non-synthetic oil in high viscosity only but I like my synthetics.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Walmart has Mobil 1 20w-50 and 10-40 for only $9.95 a quart.

STP oil treatment has zddp in it but it is frankly too thick and bumps up the viscosity.

I still have an old.stash of CI4 rated shell rotela 5w-40 I'm working on before they made it environmentally friendly.

Might be worth following the new and used oil analysis threads on bobistheoilguy.com for what is the best. I have not followed it much in the last 2 years.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

if you use synthetic oil you dont need to add zinc...if you dont, then use a diesel grade 1030 like shell tripple t it also has zddp in it at full levels...so does kohler 1030 oil

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Last I bought, I could buy Mobil 1 in 10-40 for around $26 for the 5 quart at Walmart.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Have read many a time that Mobil 1 15w/50 is one of the better formulations. That's all I use in my KAW KAIs. Changed out every 75 hours with a new oil filter as well.

I'm a believer that a mower engine needs 50-100 hrs of break-in on conventional motor oil before transitioning to synthetic.

More importantly is to make DARN sure that the initial break-in oil is changed AFTER the first 8 hrs of operation = CRITICAL.

10. mtmower

I was under the impression that the zinc was even removed from the synthetics. Supposedly they pulled it to keep catalytic convertors from going south so soon.