1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which one first

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by touhey33, Mar 23, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are doing aeration and dethatching the same day, which would you do first. I am using a power rake to dethatch and thought if I aerated first and then dethatched it would brake up the cores, what do you think?
  2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

1st: dethatch 2nd: core areation
  3. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

If you are core aerating, then you don't need to dethatch.

Cool season grass with large buildup of thatch is being feed too much Nitrogen, Warm season grass with large build up of thatch needs to be bagged and aerated. Even if you have a compaction problem, you don't really need to dethatch. If this is a problem with warm season grass, a good cutting, and light raking can help the problem with core aerating. Dethaching is hard on the grass.

Hope some of this helps..
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Same here.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

are you licensed? if not, sub it out
  6. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

are you licensed? if not, sub it out

Do you have to be licensed to aerate or dethatch??? I dont know about other states but not in Michigan.
  7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

No license required in Michigan.

And I agree, with dethatch first, then aerate. You dont want to break up the cores, you want them to decompose naturally to maximize the amount of time the roots are exposed to air. Breaking them up will reduce the effectiveness of the aeration They will generally fill back in after 3-4 weeks.

And I also agree that if you are aerating, dethacthing should really not be necessary.

8. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Not illegal here to dethatch or aerate. I would only do one or the other. I would aerate if soil compaction is evident first. WHen you aerate nature takes care of the thatch, not all but some.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would dethatch in the spring, and then aerate in early fall
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its illegal to dethatch if you don't really have thatch. Otherwise you are powerraking. True dethatching is a destructive process done with flail knives. Power raking is a spring tine on a vertical shaft that spins and pulls up the surface of the lawn and basically fluffs the lawn. That process is largely cosmetic and it is very popular here.
    Aeration is also a destructive process but in a different manner. Cores are pulled and left on the surface to decompose. The pulling actually destroys a section of grass but that allows the root system of the remaining grass to expand and thrive. The surface cores decompose and the microbial action is beneficial in reducing some of the true thatch layer.
    Most lawns I find do NOT have a thatch problem but can benefit from botha power raking and an aeration.

That being said, power rake first and then aerate. Let the cores disintegrate on their own.