Which one??Hustler Sport or Snapper S50??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Popeye77, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hustler Sport:
    $3399
    42" deck 11 Gauge welded
    Honda 17hp (i think it's 17hp)
    3 year warranty
    ezt transmission
    3 gal. fuel tank

Snapper Pro $3999.95
    36" deck 10 Gauge welded
    Kawasaki 20hp
    2 year warranty
    ZT3100 transmission w/fans
    8 gallon fuel tank

Which one would you choose???????
    42" is the largest deck that will fit through gates i need to get in

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I first will admit I am a Hustler Dealer but I will also say it is a toss up. I am sure you will not find any power problems with either engine. the Transmissions are the same, not sure about the snapper frame but I do know the hustler is well built for the size and price. The major differences will most likely be dealer support(not sure who wins), Warranty(looks like Hustler wins), tank size(snapper wins), comfort, and price(Also looks like a win for Hustler) But you have 2 categories I do not know who wins and neither will anyone else except you.

3. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

If I understand correctly, the ZT3100 trans on the Snapper is better than the EZT trans on the Hustler. Also, the Kawasaki engine on the Snapper has a remote air-cleaner. I know the Sport's have a Kawasaki engine option, but don't know if it has the remote air-cleaner system. In the pictures the Snapper does look a little cramped. It's up to you to go and look at the mowers in person and try them out. Happy shopping :).

Kevin

4. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Transmissions are not the same. Tranny on the Sport is the same one on my Snapper 150z which is what i am trying to get away from.
    Snapper zt3100 (zt2800) has double the torque of the Sport EZT (Hydrogear site). Starting to sound like and old woman who can't make up her mind. I like the 42' deck but the Snapper can mow 2mph faster with the 36 deck. Frame is also heavier on the snapper 1.5 x 2 vs 1.5 x 1.5 on the Sport. Dealer support will be better on the Snapper also i have been dealing with them already.
    Looks like Snapper even though i like the Hustler reputation better.

5. saw n mow

A good dealer is worth it. Post some pics when you get that Snapper.

Kevin

6. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I really wanted to go Hustler but i saw an S50x48 today and for $400 difference the Snapper looks to be a better mower. Hustler dealer spent a great deal of time complaining about his customers and that's not a good sign.

7. saw n mow

Would have to agree. It's bad when a company with a good reputation for good products has bad dealers. I'm sure there's more to that dealers story...but it's not a good way to approach a new customer.

Kevin

8. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Just pulled the trigger on S50x 36". With mulching kit and trailer hitch. Be here in about a week. $4200.00 3 yr. warranty
    Pics will follow when i take delivery

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011