1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which One of these 2 New Diesel models would You choose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, May 29, 2005.

Which One of these New Diesel models would you choose?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2005.
  1. New Model John Deere 997, with 60'' rear discharge deck

2. New Model Hustler Diesel, with 60'' rear discharge deck

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Which of these 2 New Diesel models would You choose IF you were in the market for a diesel??

I'm only interested in your opinion about these 2 models, none other, and with their New Rear Discharge decks on....both have new designed rear discharge 60'' decks.

The Deere has a Yanmar engine, the Hustler a Cat, the J.D has a baffled rear discharge deck which they claim prevents clogging/cluming etc, the Hustler is baffleless, one blade spins anti clockwise. They claim this is a very good deck too.

Specs are on these 2 web links if interested, quite a few differences!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would go with the Hustler. I really like the pump/motor drive for the deck belt. It makes the deck engage so much smoother. I would also take the Cat over the Yanmar and I like the looks of the hustler a lot more than the Jd and the Hustler just seems like a heavier duty machine. I also like the fact that the Hustler has larger pumps and wheel motors than the JD.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I can't really say anything negative about Hustler as a company.
    Seems to me they are great.

However, I have the same complaint about the Hustler diesel as I had about the ATZ.
    I don't like the extended wheelbase.
    The difference is that the gap between the tires and deck is between the deck and rear tires.

I don't like that much. However, this may be helpful with the rear discharge deck.
    I just don't like it because I know what happens with those sorts of setups on rolling terrain.

4. Tonyr

Thanks guys, appreciate your replies.

Envy, have you heard anything more about hustler's new rear discharge other than on this forum reguarding cut quality, and clipping placement?

IMO, the Hustler looks more industrial, has some great features too, auto cleaning fans, bigger feul tanks, but it is 30 odd kgs heavier...more steel lol.

But in saying that I have demoed the hustler diesel, with side discharge deck, the machine is a beast, I am currently waiting for a call from a j.d rep to demo their new diesel....the new deck they have has baffles on each blade chamber to eliminate clumping etc, this makes sense, and are becomming very popular here, so the rep said, I'm still buggered if I understand how the hustler deck can leave a neat placement of clippings, especially in heavier cutting.

The J.D deck is here and going well, the new diesels are on the boat over.

The hustler diesels are just arriving, I think the first rear discharge decks are here too, one is at a show...it's on a super z though.

This is why I'm asking you guys here, you have had a chance to see more of these machines at work...
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Seems these are just as "new" here as they are there unfortunately.....
  6. Tonyr

Just received some info about the J.D deck...

The 60-in. rear-discharge mower is ideally suited for:

Areas where people are present:
    Traffic areas (city boulevards, roadsides, etc.)
    Conditions and application areas with long grass and weeds where customer is not as concerned about wide dispersal of grass (park areas, roadsides, etc.).
    Some government bids specify that the mower is equipped with a rear discharge.

Fabricated from 7-gauge steel (.177-in.) for added deck strength and long life.

3/4-in. solid steel bar is welded to the mower deck perimeter for additional strength.

Deep-deck design increases airflow so more material can be processed.
    Operator can trim with either side.

Unique baffling system that is designed to reduce clumping and windrowing usually associated with rear-discharge mowers.

1-in. to 5-in. cutting heights, in 1/2-in. increments, allow the operator to match all mowing conditions.

Gauge wheels, rollers, or side-mounted skid shoes lift the deck over uneven surfaces for a well-groomed appearance.

Spindles can be greased without removing belt shields.
    1-in. (25 mm) cold-forged spindles.

Heat-treated to provide additional strength
    Spindle housings are ribbed cast aluminum. This unique design features reinforcing gussets in the housing.
    Adds strength.
    Additional cooling surface.
    Distributes loads over a larger area.
    Precision ball bearings.

These mower decks are shaft-driven. The benefits of using this type of system are:

Live independent PTO powers the mower deck.

PTO can be engaged or disengaged on-the-go for greater productivity.

Hydraulic PTO clutch has delay relief valve for soft engagement.

Wet clutch design for long life.

Easily accessible.

250 ft. lb. heavy-duty, hydraulic clutch for long life.

Splined PTO shaft transfers power to cast-iron gearbox.

Easy access to the PTO.

Easy engine accessibility.

7. Envy Lawn Service

From what little I can see, that deck looks just like the ones they use on the wide area wing mowers. Let me see what else I can dig up.....
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I have some JD diesel mower literature here. It has a little better picture of the 997 with the rear discharge deck. It does look very similar to the rear discharge decks on the 1600 Turbo wide area wing mower.

In my personal opinion, a rear discharge deck would almost just have to mulch most everything and allow it to fall more quicky and freely at the rear of the deck than a mulch kit to leave a nice rear discharge cut. I think this really all this comparison between the hustler and John Deere means little otherwise. This is because I personally think that plain old rear discharge is otherwise limited to what it has been for years due to one simple fact.....

The lack of 'loft' in the discharge of a rear discharge machine. Just look at the rear portions of the decks to understand what I mean. The discharge is directed down.

The same 'loft' principle is the same reason the Toro rubber chute is about the only chute on the market that works well... and the very same reason most of us raise our remove the chutes for better performance. To allow free flow and maximum clipping loft. This is also why many stamped decks have an elevated tunnel towards the discharge side. The 46" MTD lawn tractor deck is a perfect example.

9. Tonyr

Thanks mate....good points!

This is the stuff I'm wanting to understand, the 'why' factor, not so much as the paint colour. I have not seen the new green deck underneath, but we all have seen the hustler, while it has been said these decks basically just cut and discharge without feeding the other blades and limiting their processing speed, the hustler deck has 2 blades throwing into the end one, and they all discharge out the rear.

Now, I've heard it said the basic principal is to cut and release, no recutting, so clippings will be longer than side discharge.

Like, if in heavy growth with a side discharge we can get stringers or uncut rows if blades are over loaded, 1/3 of the clippings come from 60'' away before release etc...a lot of recutting under a side discharge deck, so you slow down and usually re cut.

If a rear discharge just cuts and releases, how does this work in hustler's case?

it is basically a standard deck with 1 blade turning inwards, and the rear of the deck opened, I just can't see with this simplicity how it can work, still 2 blades feed one...

I understand it that the blades simply cut the grass and its laid down, no recutting etc.

With j.d's baffled deck, it stops the blades feeding each other, meaning it should process more efficiently.

Remembering this deck type is new to me, it seems to me like a baffled deck would be better than unbaffled, so I dunno....

btw, we are talking 30.000 bucks each in our money, that's why I'm trying to get a grip on this before demo day.

So this new deck of j.d's I'm on about, is it new, or have I misunderstood?
  10. Tonyr

I asked a dealer these questions questerday arvo my time....his reply below...

have you got a pic of under this deck?

If this deck ran with mulch blades, would it cut smaller
    clippings, or would the result be marginal?

Am I correct in thinking that the clippings remain a lot longer
    with a R.D deck than with a S.D deck due to the lack of recutting
    under a S.D deck?

can you tell me more about the clipping layer left in our area,
    I need to know if it windrows, clumps etc, e.g say a overgrown park
    was mowed with side discharge, another with rear discharge, what
    differences would be visable at the end?

Do they have problems when grass is wet?

Is this deck a new model design or been around awhile?

I don’t have any more pics than what I have sent you.these machines won’t be available until late June, Early July.

As for Rear Discharge, the deck is open at rear full width so it will cut larger grass Quicker. The only trouble with this is it requires much more maintenance/ cleaning underneath transmission ETC. I think with rear the clippings will larger than side because blades will only cut one time and out back. Mulching blades will not help unless you have a complete kit on. And that will not work in the conditions you are talking about.

well as you can see not all of my questions are answered, makes things frustrating. Dealers don't like wasting their time at demos, but when a prospect tries to learn as much beforehand to figure if this is the correct sort of machine for his business info is not as forthcoming as I would of liked.

Sounds like the guy isn't really that interested, or he is being very honest in saying these decks require much more maintenance/ cleaning underneath transmission ETC, sounds like these things are a PITA.

Still, after all of this no one can say what these j.d decks are like....dunno how good they cut, dunno how they leave clippings layer, whether good on turf, or more for rougher areas, still don't know more about this deck than I did last week when I visited the j.d web site.

Though I have a feeling the j.d deck is more advanced, rear anti scalp wheels, baffling, rear flow design etc, I'm losing interest, for 30.000 bucks I would think a dealer would be as keen as to give me or find me everything he could.

I would be a bit more enthuiastic....

And the hustler.....well it appears no one here knows anything about them, obviously the diesel market is small in the usa...

These are remaining a mystery...the one guy who bought a rear discharge deck from hustler promised work pics , never did...and the hustler company at this date hasn't got any real pics, but are working on it in coming weeks.

I'm just getting frustrated with this comparison, the dealers are 4 hours away, I'm trying to make sure I don't waste their time....spose if they leave main communication for the demo day they can hard sell me...easier to sell in person than email.

BTW, hustler here is testing a rear discharge deck on a super z against a contractor's super z on thursday arvo our time, hopefully friday I know more about the hustler deck.

It is sounding like I should just stay with side discharge so far, too many unknowns and doubts with rear discharge.