Which one to buy? Scag or Toro Z Master

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spurgeon, May 30, 2001.

1. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Guest

I appreciate the response to my post. Everyone offered good advise. I demoed the Scag Turf Tiger with the 25 Kohler and the Toro Z master with a 23 Kohler. Both did a good job. The Scag is built like a tank and has the larger engine. Really rides rough. The Toro Z master with the 23 hp seemed to have as much power as the 25 Scag. The Scag is shaft driven while the Toro is belt drive. The Toro is 800.00 less than the Scag. The Toro is serviced by my John Deere Dealer and seem like a good dealership. I know nothing about the dealer that sells the scag other than they also sell New Holland.

Help me decide between the two. Your comments good or bad would be appreciated. Since you people use these machines to make a living I trust you know what works and what doesn't.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the Toro. The cut is great and the drivetrain is built by exmark.

3. Skolnick's Landscaping

Skolnick's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I run a toro z master with a 62" deck and a 25 koler and have had no problems cuts great runs well and is fast. one thing i also noticed with my toro is it doesnt clump in wet grass or when its raining which is one thing i noticed about other mowers they clump in the wet

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

reading your post it really doesnt sound like you need more help making up your mind.cant comment on the machines ,except to say i think they are both good.the john deere dealer will probably give
    good service.just hope he dont stock to many 8 dollar 3 inch bolts like mine did. ive been getting hints that deere dealers here are
    trying to shake the very high cost image.good luck

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

From all the reading I've done here, the Toro sounds like the best choice of the two. It sounds like your JD dealer is like mine, sells everything but a JD ZTR. ;)

6. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have a Toro Z-255 with a 62" deck. I prefer the Toro cut over the Scag's cut. My customers like the Toro cut too as compared to other LCOs that previously had the account before I did. Toro also makes a striping kit for the Z and it's about $59.00. If at all possible, let the dealer install the striping kit. The striping kit installation is no big deal but is time consuming.

7. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro and am fairly happy with it. I would go with it over the scag.

8. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I'm an expert.

Buy the Z Master.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Toro. We have five in different flavors. All do an excellent job!:D