1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spurgeon, May 29, 2001.

1. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Guest

I an looking to buy 60 inch ztr. Have looke at scag, toro, bunton, woods and dixie chopper. Mowing 2 acre yard. Presently have 445 JD with 60 deck. Nothing but problems and breakdowns. Which is the most bang for the buck?
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I know Exmark was not on your list, but I have been happy with my Lazer. In this area you can get a Turf Tiger for $7300 that is alot of bag for the buck.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Of what you have listed I would go with the dixie. But, go demo an eXmark first.
  4. Wood Lawn Man

Wood Lawn Man LawnSite Member

Bang for your buck......61" Advantage Deck Turf Tiger w/ 27hp Kawasaki. Should be able to get it for under $8000.

VINNY MINELLA LawnSite Member

6. The best advice I can give you is to demo all the ones you have listed. Then you decide which one you like the best. Find out how well the dealer services the equipment he sells, you may buy the best mower but if your dealer support is lacking it really isn't all that great of a mower. I have a great dealer for my DC they take good care of me, and I only have one mower, but you would think I had a fleet when I talk to them. My preferance is the DC but that is my opinion.

Demo and see which one suits your needs.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Demo a Dixie and an Exmark. I'll bet you go with one of them.
  8. ScottH

ScottH LawnSite Member

I believe the best advice is to demo as many different units as you can. Get a feel for all of them. But, remember price is only 1 component of a sale. You should definitely stay with commercial grade equipment. Then you should look at dealer support, ie to they stock parts, provide service if needed, do they work with you etc. Price should be a consideration but only along with the product and service issues.

I would recommend you look at the Excel Z as well. They list @ 8150 and can be had for less than 8000 definitely. They are great on hills and have the best side discharge bagger on the market. check out www.excelhustler.com to view all specs. Dixie's are very good machines although a little higher priced. But, you can get more engine selection ( more hp) and diesel options.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I also used a JD for mowing, a 430 diesel with a 60" deck and had nothing but problems. I got a 60" Dixie Chopper and ended that problem. I now have 2 of them, but the oldest one has 3,385 hours on it and I've had less problems with it in the past 6 years than I had with the JD in the first 60 days.

You can get a less expensive model of a DC, the XW2303 or XW2503 (both 60" decks) for around $7400 which would last you for many years on just doing 2 acres. Just go demo the ones you listed and as others mentioned, see which dealer will give you good service if you need it.

Let us know which one you get. :)