1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which one to purchase??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave in Buffalo, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dave in Buffalo

Dave in Buffalo LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I am a frequent visitor to the sister site for snow removal etc... I am now taking on one (1) lawn maintenance job, and I need some help. I will be cutting approxamately 2.5 acres of lawn. Since this is my only lawn job, I do not have to rush and get it done and get on to the next one and the next one and so on...I approached my employer and asked if i could cut the lawn for them. They loved the ambition. My question to all of you is..I am looking for a zero turn mower. There are many makes and models out there. I will be looking for a 50-60 inch deck. One capable of bagging a couple select areas. It doesnt have to be a speed demon either since I have a lot of time to cut. I dont want to spend a fortune either. My research has shown me 5k machines all the way up to 15k machines. The mower will be working at the max 20 hours a week.(spring ..when i will cut 2x per week). Please provide me with your suggestions. Thank you in advance

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Well if you are bagging for 20 hours a week, that's quite a bit. You are asking for a full time job basically. 2.5 acres does not equal 20 hrs. a week. More accurate info. I guess.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I would look for a entry level commercial machine with an accelerator grass catcher or look for a used commercial machine with a bagger. Whatever you do don't go to HomeCrapo or Lowes, they sell overpriced sheetmetal.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry but 2.5 acres of lawn won't take you no 10 hours on a Ztr of most any configuration,
    my 60" would do such a puny expanse in under three hours but I would recommend you get a smaller deck
    in the 48" range because not only will you still git'r done in half an afternoon (4 hours max) but the smaller
    deck will turn out a much better looking lawn.

You have to remember, the bigger the deck, the trickier the cut,
    mostly because it scalps easier.

Meanwhile you might get away with less $$$ spent but insofar as recommendations,
    have you tried talking to your dealer?

5. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

Bobcat..hands down best ztr for the money.. you can get a leftover Fastcat for well under 5 gs.. Id stay closer to a 52" mabye een a 48.. 60 is huge.. and if you pick up more lawns you might not be able to use something that big.. remeber you can always spend an extra 5 minutes cutting but you cant make the deck smaller

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly for 2.5 acres get a nice Gear drive walkbehind for around 3000 and add a grass gobbler or what not for when you want to pickup stuff.