which one toro or exmark 21" commercial?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dennis1, Mar 16, 2007.

1. dennis1

dennis1 LawnSite Member

I went down to my local toro/exmark dealer to look at some mowers. The 2 im intersted in are the toro 22176 kawi engine and non blade brake for 1199 and the exmark metro 21 mksa21 kawi engine and non bladebrake for 1099. They had neither in stock. From my reading on here and other forums, my understanding is it that they are the same mower,("warranty" according to dealer) except the toro has the kickers under the deck and the accellerator on the blade. So is the toro worth the extra 100 or should i just pocket the extra 100 and get the exmark. My yard is fairly steep so im going with the kawi, gone through too many cheap mowers, i plan to mulch most of the time but will be bagging some in early spring and fall leaves.

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Buy the Honda HRC216HXA!

Had to do it! Why buy one without blade brake? If you are spending the $ the you better get it! BTW Honda w/blade brake Hydro $999

3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't buy the Honda, I'd get the toro or the ex mark, we have had toro commercial for years got a Honda just to try it. It will be the last one for sure. I'd buy the toro just talk them down 100 on the price.

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned or own all three mowers in the discussion, the honda, toro and exmark. The toro and exmark are identical apart from the kickers. I never noticed that the kickers made much of a difference when mulching but they did make a difference in the amount of grass, especially wet grass, that got stuck underneath the deck. The kickers always had a lot while the exmark deck a little. Personally you are fine with either choice. If you are willing to spend the extra $100, go with the toro...if not..stick with the exmark. If you will be doing a lot of mulching, the toro might produce better results. I would not go with the honda. I bought one last fall just to try it out and the toro is a better overall unit and much more ergonomically designed.

5. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

If it is just your yard, get the cheapest!!! If you are using it full time, I recommend the Toro w/ the Honda engine.

The exmark handle is too flimsy. The Kawi is heavy and the oil filter is $$.

Our Toros w/ Honda motor run 30 hours a week 36 weeks a year and still have life after 2 years of this.

6. dennis1

dennis1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice,

" If it is just your yard, get the cheapest!!! If you are using it full time, I recommend the Toro w/ the Honda engine."

Its just for my yard, about 4 hrs per week, dont care for the honda service around here.

"I never noticed that the kickers made much of a difference when mulching but they did make a difference in the amount of grass, especially wet grass, that got stuck underneath the deck."

That is basically what i was looking to find out, if its worth the extra 100

"If you will be doing a lot of mulching, the toro might produce better results."

Thats also what im looking to find out

"Why buy one without blade brake? "

From what ive read the non blade brake mowers mulch better and one less thing to break, also cheaper.

Any more advise appreciated, Thanks Dennis1

7. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

I looked at all the commercial 21 inch mowers on the market and did quite a bit a research before I settled on the commercial Toro with the Honda engine. First, let me say that the Exmark and Toro are NOT identical. As you know the Toro has the kickers, the Exmark does not. Second, the handle on the Exmark is flimsy compared to the Toro. The Exmark does, however, have a better placement for the 3 speed shift lever. I have also seen where some of the front wheel adjusters on the Exmark are different than the Toro's. My local shop says he actually prefers the adjusters on the Exmark.
    BTW, next year the Exmark and Toro mowers will be identical.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to buy the Toro over the Exmark. You should be able to buy the Toro with the Honda engine for $1000 + tax. You can buy one online if you prefer for around $1060 shipped. I personally do not like the Kawi engine, either the old one or the new KAI version. Now, having recommended the Toro over the Exmark, I need to point out that if you are going to be predominantly bagging your grass, I would probably buy neither mower. The commercial honda, the HRC216HXA, bags wet or dry much better than either the Toro or Exmark. The Honda is also a good mulcher, but not as good as the Toro. The Honda has a sweet hydrostatic transmission compared to the 3-speed Toro tranny. Also, the Honda has probably the best blade brake clutch setup in the industry for a 21 inch mower. The down side for the Honda, however, is that the controls are awkward compared to the Toro. One hand has to go on and off the drive bar whenever you want to turn the mower unless you do large sweeping turns. The Honda is also a little bit heavier than the Toro. The Toro also just feels better and seem more efficient in my hands. Good luck with your decision.
    -Jason

8. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I actually was in the market for a good 21" commercial WB and compared the Toro Pro Line 21/Exmark Metro 21 and the Honda HRC216HXA. I have owned two Honda WB's in the past...most recently the HR215 Masters which now resides at my dad's house. FWIW, the Honda Masters really excelled at bagging and did an OK job with side discharge and mulching. Given the fact that I primarily mulch and SD only when conditions are not conducive to mulching, I was looking for a mower that would handle mulching pretty well. I know both the Toro Pro Line and Exmark dealers here in town and I talked with both of them and they said the Pro Line 21/Metro 21 units mulch very well, which also coincided with what I've read here in the past regarding these respective mowers. So I was soon looking heavily towards either the Toro or Exmark units. My Exmark dealer had [key word...had :) ] a Metro 21 MSKA21B on his floor and one day a few weeks back I went to visit again and take a close look at the mower. I was very impressed with the way it is built and how solid the mower feels. Returned the next day to buy it! I've only used it a couple times so far to do pre-spring yard clean-up with the bagger in place, but will see how well it mulches as soon as the grass jumps. Regardless, from what I've learned you can't go wrong with either Toro or Exmark 21's. My decision to go with Exmark over the Toro was that the Exmark dealer is relatively new here in town and since I knew him before he was an Exmark dealer, I wanted to give him the business to help him out.

Hope this helps.

9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

4 hours a week is a lot of time to spend mowing your own yard. Might I suggest looking into a 36" or 44" walk behind unit. You could easily cut your mowing time in half. You can get a good unit from Better Outdoor Products (sponsor) for under 3K - way under 3K if you get the small 36".

10. dennis1

dennis1 LawnSite Member

Thanks to all that replied, As of right now im leaning towards the toro 22176. I talked to my dealer and they are having there spring open house next thursday where they should have both mowers in stock and we will see how much they will move on the price.

"4 hours a week is a lot of time to spend mowing your own yard."

I probably wasnt very clear there, that would be 4 hrs if i mowed twice a week and bagged, if i mulch i should be able to hopefully cut my time in half.

"You should be able to buy the Toro with the Honda engine for $1000 + tax. You can buy one online if you prefer for around $1060 shipped."

Ill keep that in mind, as i would like to support my local dealer, he is going to half to come closer to that price than 1200.