Which one would you buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Nov 10, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I need to decide this in the next couple days. My primary need is for a leaf loader. So..........

If you only had about $900 to spend (and barely have that!), and you have the following two options, which do you choose?

Option 1. Brand new Gaint Vac 90BP (9hp) push blower with optional hose kit (6" diam. intake & exhaust). And use it as a truck loader. $930 w/tax.

Pros: Brand new, has warrenty. Can use as blower when I have a helper (I already have one new push blower).

Cons: Small diam. hose. Need trailer to haul to jobs. A little more then I should be spending right now.

Option 2. Used truck loader. 11hp, 10" diameter hose. About 5 yrs old. Tailgate mount. Very good condition. Between $700-750 (depending on how much I wear him down!).

Pros: More hp. Bigger hose. Can take to job without trailer (for suck ups). A little more in my $$ range.

Cons: Used, no warrenty. Can't use as blower. Not sure about hp to hose diameter ratio (11hp, 10" diam. hose).

Ok, let me hear it.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will get the job done better with the used leaf loader. If you can get a good deal on it used, use the machine to make the money this Fall and put some of the money back into the company for next year to up grade the equipment. I am "assumming" that if you need a leaf loader you have clean-ups that are big enough to make a good dollar on.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

ffshuter, yeah, I am leaning more toward the loader since that is what I really need.

But then I keep going back to "new, with warrenty" and "dual purpose" of the GV 90BP push blower.
    But IF it's not that great as a loader, then all I have is a sub par loader, and a blower that I don't really, really need.

My decision would be easier if the used loader was closer. A few hour drive each way.:cry:

Or my decision would be easier if I could see the GV push blower in action as a loader.

Aaagghhh! Decisions, decisions.:dizzy:

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

# 2, More hp faster suck up!!

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks John.

Anybody see any problem with the HP to hose diameter ratio (11hp, 10" hose diam.)?

I think most 11hp loaders only have 8" hose, don't they?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Number 2.

It ain't like a mower where you're gonna be using it week after week. Use the winter to replace/rebuild any parts of it too.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Leaf loader. I have an 11hp Billy Goat, I will probably gert rid of soon. It's a good machine and saves alot of time. :cool:

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

# 2

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

#2. The 10" to 11hp might be alittle steep but they wouldn't have built it that way if it couldn't handle it. If it really is too much go to Lowe's get a 10" to 8" reducer peice for a stovepipe and get a 8" hose for it.

10. NfdBrian

NfdBrian LawnSite Member

Go getter,
    I have a 11hp Giant-Vac leaf loader I just picked up used. It has the 8" hose. It works damn good. It will save you so much time. I wouldn't hesitate to go used, just look it over really good and check the oil to see how dirty it is, and check the impeller for wear. This might give you a hint on how well it has been taken care of. Good luck!

Brian