Which One?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by drewskee032, Oct 8, 2006.

1. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

I'm 15 and mow about 15 lawns a week (all of which have steep hills). Therefore, I'm thinking about getting a 48in mid-sized walk-behind but have no idea which one/brand to get (I don't want to spend much more than 5k). Which would u guys get...?

eXmark - TTHP
    Hustler - TrimStar Hydro (is this a Floating Deck?)
    Husqvarna - 4817EFQ
    John Deere - 7H17
    Toro - Fixed Deck Hydro Drive
    Any Others??

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

TTHP would be a good machine. The Toro with the Turbo force deck is a great deck!! I would eliminate the husqvarna mower from that list, as personally I wouldnt waste the time.

What dealers are around you? What brands do they carry and which do you like the best? Which dealer has the best service and parts department? That will be a big key in which brand you go with.

3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Get the hustler trimstar (I do belive it is floating last time i looked at one) or the exmark. There both good ones. I kinda like how the huslter's sterring control works. But either or you would be happy

4. drewskee032

drewskee032 LawnSite Member

Around me, besides Husqvarna, exmark is fairly close (about 15 miles away). As for what brands they carry, i have no idea b/c i havent been there yet however, i would like to demo the TTHP.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I will not tell you which brand to buy, BUT do this if you have hills. HYDRO--- What every you buy, make sure it is HYDRO.

HYDRO HYDRO HYDRO!!!

6. DAL95

DAL95 LawnSite Member

the john deeR

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a Toro 48" fixed deck gear drive walk behind. I would also recommend a hydro. My mower is great on hills but the belts do slip sometimes when the hill is very steep. I plan on getting an Exmark hydro for next season. The Toro t-bar controls are easy to operate on hills and i've heard that the Exmark ECS controls are great also.
    If you plan on buying new make sure you try them out on one of your properties if possible.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I can't comment on the others. I really like my Turf Tracer HP. Cuts great, and I like the ECS controls.