Which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, May 9, 2002.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I am buying a 36" TORO proline next week, so here is the question which do I buy

Model 30250

36" Floating deck
    12.5 kawasaki
    T-Bar control system
    Gear Drive
    SFS Deck
    Bag setup
    PRICE = 3099.00

Model 30194

36" FIXED deck
    13.0 Kohler Command
    T-Bar control system
    Gear Drive
    Bag setup
    PRICE = 2499.00

I am leaning toward the 30250 but my dealer says if I don't change my cutting height I don't really need the floating deck which would you buy? and why.

2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at Gravely and Great Dane. They are much better than toro and they are also cheaper. But if your heart is set on toro:confused: , then buy the 1st one u listed.

Personally I like kaw. and the floating deck is nice.

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The floating deck does like it says, it floats. Much better for anti-scalp plus the height adjustment factor...and resale value.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

id go with the floating deck. its much easier to changed the deck height. you may not think you need to changed the height a lot, but down the line you will have to, and in my opinion, its a pain the butt to changed the height on a fixed deck.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I would choose the first.. 12.5 kaw and floating deck. Why? Because I had one (still do but don't use it)...

Some will say a floating deck is not a big deal for a small deck.. I say it makes a difference...

Good Luck

6. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Spend the 600 bucks. I doubt 600 is going to break the bank. If it saves you from taking a 21 of the trailer on 5 yards thats probably 5 minutes times 5 yards times 30+ mows per season. Thats a saving of at least 12.5 hours per year. It will pay for itself quickly. Also I have heard that the sfs deck is much better for side discharge, and I would imagine bagging too. Whenever I am in doubt I spend the extra money, because later I might kick myself for not doing so.

7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

2 more 21" Toros and a helper. :)

However, if your heart is set on a 36" Toro, I hear Kawi is the way to go. The 15 hp Kawasaki on my 36" Exmark is real hard to start cold (the one drawback I hear about these big Kawis), and on cold mornings I tend to leave it at home and save the hassle.

I've heard Kohler's are not as reliable. However, I've never had one...

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Get the toro sfs floating deck. I would get a bigger engine. I have the 36 fixed and bought since it was $800 cheaper than the floating. Get the old style floating is all i can say. The deck has horizontal pins not vertical which has better weight balance and the bag is a big 5 bushel that you just drop on and pull off no clips or snatches or anything realy easy. I do find places that you can scalp with a fixed and really should have gotten the 36 floating. It also has an electric clutch instead of a manual clutch on the fixed. If you get the older style then you could chance decks with other sfs decks later if needed. They are great machines with high resale values. Very popular machine and that is what i should have gotten. I would look into a slightly bigger engine since i used one with a 14 kohler and it did bog since it is spinning 3 blades. Good luck with your machine.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You do NOT need a floating deck on a 36" machine as long as it isn't a t-bar!!!

W/ any standard pistol grip, you can elevate the deck by pushing down on handles when terrain is uneven. I started out w/ a t-bar and had only one of them - thank God, then I got smart and got away from them!

The Kohler engine is strong, but sometimes likes to take a bit more **** into the intake. Kaws don't honor warranty to dealers like Kohler, and briggs (Daihatsu on the Vaguard models).

Any belt drive 36" w/ a 4.3 gobbler should be priced under $3000!

Bob

10. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i would get the floating deck. The exmark belt drive i looked at yesterday was only like 2499 and that was with a 48" deck and bagger. but go with the floating deck. alot easier to maintain.