1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which one???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tlcgrounds, Jan 3, 2001.

1. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input guys.Here is another anlge to look at. This "friend" is actually my brother-in-law to be. I Just turned 20 this month and my wife to be has been working with me this year and we have grown by leaps and bounds. I have to say a female influence has been a major plus for us. Her brother has had a difficlut up bringing and has spent a lot of time with me out in the shop at night. He has a major interest and I think all he needs is a stable environment to work in to straighten things up. He has asked for my advice on various subjects from finance to relationships. I feel if he had a possitive role in a business and learned a craft like ours he will be a very usefull tool. We are planning to do over $100,000 this year in sales and my girl and I can handle it ourselves butI think its time to think about a little insurance if one of us gets injured and why not help some one out and make a positive impact on their life at the same time.
  2. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You should of kept this with the thread your are refering to...some of us have no idea what you are talking about
  4. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

YO Grounds,

I think I understand what you are trying to say. You want to hire this guy and hopefully, you can have a positive impact on his life and at the same time get a good employee.

I think thats a good ideas. But before you do this consider this.

This is an economic question. Can you afford to pay this guy?

Is this guy a good worker. Family, friends, strangers don't hire dead weight no matter who they are.

If you do hire him let him know up front, this is how I make make my living. If you mess up, your butt is gone.

Give him no special treatments, if he acts a fool and he will have to play the fool. In fact, expect things out of him, be a little harder.(Don't be no tyrant)

If he has it in him, he will produce.

Even though you are helping him by being a positive role model..........

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The advice is good. Now i commend you for
    realising that everything doesnt come down
    to dollars and cents.If your in position to
    help theguy do it.Then set a good example.
    Thanks TM
  6. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

Sorry guys the post i was referring to was the post entitled "Employee Criteria" I must have selected the New thread instead of relpy thread. Thank you for the added information. I was comparing this guy to another much older prospect for hire in the original thread.
    My finances are in very good shape if you'll allow me to boast a bit. We ran the company and our very comfortable lifestyle and still had a bank foll of over $30k. This year we have an additional $8k-$10k in small bids and a very large contract that offers 72 acres of mowing. It will bring in $15K to $25K based on #mowings. Then next year we are working on another $20K account.
    My existing crew of I and my wife-to-be can handle all $100k+ sales but I think its time to consider the future and the goals of this business. What if one of got injured!!!! I think nows the time to take on a guy and take care of that person and I believe that person will take a personal interest in the business and make it a career instead of a job. What do you guys think.
  7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Get him to sign an employee non-compete form
    to keep him from learning your trade and stealing
    your customers. I don't care if you get your
    mother to work for you cover your a$$ on employee
    competetion in the future.