Which path should I take?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by QMVA, Apr 6, 2005.

?

Please read post before you vote

1. Start on your own.

29.4%
  2. Work for someone else.

70.6%
  1. QMVA

QMVA LawnSite Member

Ok last year I completely took over the lawn maintenance at my house instead of helping my dad and realized how much I love it. :D Well this year I want to get into the industry but am not sure what to do. I have two choices.
    1. Start my own lawn business under my dad's name and go from there.
    2. Work for someone else and wait to start on my own next year.
    Each has a snag. the first one I will have to work harder getting accounts and will be unsure on many things that I would probably learn working for someone else. The second one's snag is companies around here are already servicing homes and I am afraid that they all may have as many workers as they need or the hours wont work with my school. :cry: So if you guys could give me some suggestions and opinions on what I should do I would really appreciate it. :help:

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You have no idea how much there is to know.

3. QMVA

QMVA LawnSite Member

I realize that I don't know alot of things that why I try to spend as much time as I can here reading threads and also reading books on mowing lawns. However I understand that some things should be taught person to person and not through writing. So it looks like I'll try to get a job at a local Lawn Company. Do you think its to late or do I still have a chance.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If you are a good worker and pick stuff up quick, you will get hired. Good employees are hard to find. How old are you? That will answer most of the questions.

5. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

QMVA,
    Get hired on somewhere, stick with them like glue, learn as much as you can, even if it takes a couple of years( time does fly )- be reliable to the company and yourself and you will make it. As the person above said, good dedicated workers are hard to find, you want someone that will take some ownership in what they do. Not to be a father figure, but learn customer service at all cost!!! If you don't have customer service, you might as well be mowing dirt. Good Luck!

6. QMVA

QMVA LawnSite Member

I'm 16 years old which know will hurt me it but I know how to work hard. I plow a large parking low during the winter and lust summer I worked at my dad's warehouse. However my parents think that it would be a great experience for me to work for someone else. ;) They really want me to work at a grocery store but I'm not cut out for standing around putting groceries in bag. Just not the work I care for. So I thought hey how about the lawn service. I enjoy it, its manual labor, and I will learn something that I can use for the rest of my life. :D So here I am.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I never realized it till I joined the site, but states do have laws about minors operating power equipment. Also consider the insurance angle (will you be covered if you get hurt or hurt/damage something/someone. Dont know if you could get hired at 16 with a local company or not. Something you will need to check out. Also keep in mind what will happen when you get your experience and want to go out on your own and competing against your "old" boss.

8. QMVA

QMVA LawnSite Member

State of Nebraska only has restrictions for minors 14-15. As for having someone hire me for my age I know its possible because two kids I know work for a Lawn and Landscape company. As for what will happen if I try to go out on my own all I can say is I don't plan on making Lawn service my career.

9. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hi QMVA, good to meet you, I am also from Omaha. The lawn buz as really picked up this last week.
    FYI, I do know a person from Omaha, about 20 years ago, who was 14 or 15 that started just mowing, his business escalated over the years and that 14 year old kid, now years later is sitting REALLY good!

Good Luck QMVA