Which Pesticide License Do YOU need?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Landscape Poet, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

So with the many browsing our new Florida Section here on Lawnsite I thought it might be important to throw this up for all the newbies that might visit the sight. It will hopefully guide them in the right direction to making the correct choices about the business they are going to venture into, help save our aquifers in florida, as well as save them from getting informed from Ric that they are hacks when they ask about chemicals, and of course will help them avoid getting fined by the state.

So here is the link that will answer the question for you.
    http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/pesticide_licenses/which_pesticide.shtml

Since many of you will not go for the full PCO license - here is the basic limited license ( what many of your refer to as the Round Up License) http://landscape.ifas.ufl.edu/Breaking news/breaking news.htm

2. Landscape Poet

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

In addition to the cost of the course and license fee you must bring proof of 1 mil liability insurance with a pesticide rider. :usflag:

4. Landscape Poet

Correct - and feel free to correct me if I am wrong here - as of now the current fee to take the test is $150 I believe for the limited. Also you will be required to bring a passport photo of yourself for some reason - I am not sure why as they do not apply it on your license.

5. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

Michael,

Just so you know Orange County has required this BMP course for Fert only since March of 2010, even though the first class offered was in April 2010. If you haven't taken the BMP course yet and are spreading Fert only you are doing so illegally.

6. Landscape Poet

I have taken my BMP's certificate actually a few times now, I think I got mine in April of last year or so originally, because of Orange county. I have taken it since in both Seminole and Orange for Continuing Education Credits and the info that they fill the class time with, the last one they had a decent presentation on palm disease. For those of you looking for CEUs this is a good way to stack up 4 quickly.

7. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

why is it a Millon a Pest Control Company only needs $400k?

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

Micheal likes to read his own posts whether his information is correct or Not. The Limited License only requires 400K but Insurance companies will only write 500 K.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Ric that was my bad. You only need 400k for the state requirement. The minimum I could find was 1 mil to cover what I do landscaping wise with the pest rider. For the paltry 408 dollars I wasn't going to go with any less coverage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

who is your insurance with? I shopped around a lot over the years having L&O and GHP and the cheapest I can get is twice what you are paying. I'd love to find it cheaper