which phone # do you use?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bluerider, Mar 5, 2005.

1. bluerider

bluerider LawnSite Member

What phone number do you use on you business cards and Flyers? Do you use just you home or offfice number or do you use you cell phone for business calls? Has anyone just put cell phone number on flyers and business cards? See my problem is that right now me and my fiancee are just renting and don't know how long we will stay where we are. We hope to build a house of our own sometime in the next couple years. So we don't know how long we will stay at our current location. So if we moved out our home phone number may have to change if we moved to a different town.

I have tried just putting my cell phone number on my flyers but I have been getting almost no response from them. And I am wondering if it is because people won't call because it is a cell phone number and would I get more response if it was a home number. I live in a rural area where the is only one set of area codes per town. So when everyone looks at the first three digits of a number they now excatly what town you are from. However the first three digits of cell phone numbers around here are not local numbers so they don't reconize it as being someone from this area.

I guess I haven't wanted to get alot of flyers and business cards out there with my current home number on it and then have it change in a few months or a year down the road. What would you go do?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

A cell # is our business number so that is what is placed on our flyers. Some will disagree and claim this is 'unprofessional' but we are all entitled to our opinions.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the business number and cell phone number is on my card

for some strange reasons sometimes customers call me on my residential line

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have a seperate # for business only and do not give out my personal cell for business...I did just pick up a second cell phone last week that I may use for business and give that # out if need be.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You have two choices, put your cell number or your current home number and change it when you move.I don't really see any other option.

If you use your cell, just specify more clearly your service area on your flyer's. Let them know you're a local company servicing the area.

Not too many other options with the situation you're in. In five years of business, we have had to change our office phone and fax numbers once. Even though we are in the same village, we moved to the very edge of our community, and there's about a 5 x 5 mile section that uses the next town overs exchange. Weird how it's set up. Did we loose business because of it? How the hell would one really know. For one year after the move, any calls to our old number automatically rang to our new number. In that time all our advertising had been updated and the only people that would get a non-operating number would be someone with an add more than a year old. All they would have to do is look in the phone book at that point and see that it had changed.

6. tiedeman

from earth

what really hurt me, was about six years ago I had to change my phone number, I did have a 386, but the market was exploding with cell phones so my new number started with an 802, no longer the usual local 386. It threw customers off and a lot of times they thought that they had to dial the area code first. It was a nightmare!

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

only the 800 #

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Bluerider we use a cell phone # I picked up 6 new customers last year because I was the first to call them back. So availabilty really helps so cells are the way to go unless you have a staffed office.

9. tiedeman

from earth

I looked into a 800 before, but none were available anymore

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Business line only on my card...never my cell phone.