which pole saw to get

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by vegandude, Aug 9, 2013.

1. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

Wanting to upgrade to top quality pole saw in the 19/25 ft range. The local ace hardware has a beautiful stihl brand for $259 but I don't know if their pole saws rate well. What other brands rate well? I don't want to spend much more than that.:confused:

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

$259 what model is that

3. vegandude

Unfortunately at this time I don't know, I'll have to try to get by there tomorrow. At the time I was in a hurry and I just noted the price and that it looked well made.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Well my 131 was a lot more then that

5. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I've been looking for one as well, when the funds allow. Wasn't impressed with any others but the Stihl HT131. Runs about $700.

Edit - are you looking for powered or non powered? Cuz $259 for a manual pole saw is about right. I prefer Silky. Might be a little more, but better quality.

6. vegandude

I'm looking for non-powered. I've looked at advertisement for silky but I don't know if they are all about same quality.

7. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

silky is good quality

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Ok LOL I have one I rather use my 131 power pole saw

9. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I think your referring to the Stihl PP 800 pole saw-$259.00

I own one and it is AWEsome! I paid $350 for it last yr & a few months later, Stihl dealer dropped price to $250:cry:

I've cut little limbs and big 10" limbs with this thing & it is great. 4.7 lbs & easy to hold but it will give you a good work out if cutting lots of limbs. Lifetime warranty. I broke a middle tooth off of it & turned it into dealer and two weeks later had a brand new saw blade at no cost.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbeRPu5MIA

10. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Used the Stihl PP 800 today on my tree. I'm 6, 6" tall and I'm sawing off limbs 25 ft up.

[​IMG]

Laying on fence:

[​IMG]

My Stihl Kombi 110 w/two extensions & chainsaw attachment, cannot reach that high.

[​IMG]