which power rake to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 4, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I wanted to know what brand to buy.. I was looking at maybe a ryan but isn't really sure.. any suggestions.. i know know to get one with a briggs and straton motor. thanks

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have only used the Blue Bird dethatchers, They seem to be great machines. I know a guy who rents the Ryans and he says they are Great Also. I know there are a few others out there also. Billy Goat makes one that I know of but I don't know much about them other than the fact that most of there products are decent. Ryan and Blue Bird have been around a while I think if you go with either one you would be fine, I would get one with a Honda engine if I were you. There should be someone on this site that could tell you from experience which one is better than the other. Good Luck !

3. Bill Renda

Bill Renda LawnSite Member

I own a bluebird and its been indestructible. I don't like the Briggs engine though. Definitely;y get a different engine.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

IN my opinion, power rakes are such simple machines that brand won't mater much. Engine choice will, but I have never had a problem with briggs on this type of machine. Pick what your favorite dealer carries. The one feature I would look at is the depth adjustment. It should be easy but strong.

I bought an OLD kees with an almost new engine that works as good as a new one.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I don't know much about power rakes as far as brands go. However I do know this. Don't buy Toro or Encore. I have rented a Toro before and the blades kept falling off. I have a friend who owns an Encore, and the thing is always breaking. Granted he doesn't take very good care of it... but the thing is big, and clunky, and always has problems.

6. Bluebird 520
    One of the best pieces of equipment I've bought

7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have used blue birds and ryans, but the best by FAR was a Huqavarna (SP). It was good quality and productive, easy to use.

Adam

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Bluebird with Honda engine. Never used anything else and don't really care to. The only thing I think that could be improved on is the width of the unit.

MATT