Which PowerRake to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to get a power rake of some sort. Something that can pick up grass clippings and leaves and very small sticks.
    Needs to be able to do large areas QUICKLY. Screw the cost.
    Any opinions, ideas?

:cool:

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

BlueBird with a solid metal flail (sp) is good if your just starting out and doing lawns that have a reasonable amount of thatch and debris in the lawns. Though I would not use it in Late August or Early September on the entire lawn. I tends to dig in and bring up soil. Good machine has it's purposes

Parker is what we use regularly now and have been for many years. It is a spring tine with replaceable tines. Much easier on the lawn and springkler heads ( Imagine a metal Diston rake )

3. Swampbeast

Um, how well would that Blue Bird thing hold up? It would be used on something like 280 of our lawns, about once a month. I am not exactly just starting up :D

That Parker now, how well does it hold up? bear in mind it would be used by about 45 different employees.

Thanks,

4. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

The Blue Bird machine is mainly for renovations in my mind. They are simple enough machines that abuse is not really an issue - they last forever, just replace some tines, but since they are not fixed, but rotate through centifugal force, if they hit something they typically do not break, they just fling upward. But, they dig in easily and bring up soil. We use them to loosen soil for broadcast seeding jobs where slice seeding is not an option for any of a number of possible reasons. If dethatching is the goal, a spring tine will bring up plenty without thinning the lawn. The power rakes will thin a lawn pretty good and leave a LOT of material to clean up!

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Swampbeast

Are you looking for a LAWN RAKE? Not a power rake....................well then I can't help you, don't use a LAWN RAKE

6. Swampbeast

Ah, yes, thats what I meant. Mainly going for dethaching, and some leaf pickup. During the fall, the leaf drop is not to bad, pretty mild, but I still want to get them picked up.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

A power rake for dethatching generally doesn't pick anything up. You still have to collect and pick the crap up after. Sounds like you want a lawn/leaf vacuum.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

What your asking for realy is two different machines. A lawn rake just picks up leaves and small light debris. A power rake is what does dethatching.

Actualy there a machine and I have one. Realy need to get rid of it to. There is a rake called "Easy Rake" very interesting spring time set up. The only way it dethatched was to walk backwards with it. It was able to bring up some debris imbeded in the soil surface so when you cut the mower would pick it up.

See if this is what your looking for

http://www.kochslg.com/parker.html

9. Swampbeast

Sweet deal! Thats it! Thanks GLAN! Thats exactly what I need.

And I like that vacuum cleaner thing that goes in the back of a truck, I like that idea a lot!

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Parker link is sort of messed up, because they don't have a picture of the Easy Rake on it. They just have a pic of their pushblower in it's place. I have two of these E-Z Rakes, and they work well for their applications. They don't actually dethatch per say, but they DO bring up alot of debris and SOME thatch. The problem with these, is that they are just TOO slow, as they are walbehinds and are only about 30" wide. One option they REALLY may be best for you, if you are going to use it on a regular basis to cover wide areas and that many props, would be the JRCO rake. This thing works GREAT! Again, it doesn't actually dethatch, but it's FAST and works well for rakeovers and digging up sticks and matted down leaves and such (really shines in the Spring). This thing comes in different widths to suit your needs, and moves as fast as your mower. Awesome.;)