Which Pre and Post-Emergent weed controllers do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Which Pre and Post-Emergent weed controllers do you use? For lawns that is. What have y'all found to be the best all around or most effective? Any tips or tricks y'all know of or use when applying them? What about when is the best time to apply them?
  2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

For Fescue I use Balan 2.5G (Granular)along with the first fertilization in Feb. or any of the fertilizers with the pre-emergence in them.
    For post treatment I have had great luck with Trimec Classic and either spot spray or broadcast on healty turf. And only when the weather is such that the grass (and weeds) are growing well. Nothing when in a drought situation. And you must make sure there is no plans for rain for next 24 hrs.
  3. I've used Chipco/Ronstar (granular) and Surflan (liquid) for pre-emerge control. Ronstar by far lasts longer and is the product of choice for most LCOs in Hawaii. I'm found of Ortho Weed-B-Gone/Weed-Hoe post-emerge. We use especially in winter, however year round control is the norm. I've found that when you do an lawn reno/install you need to wait a week for the Ronstar as it is potent (must use resperator!) and tends to burn delicate plugs/stolens.That being done you will need less post-emerge if you put down Ronstar. I've planted slow-growing Mondo grass (used as ground cover) and Ronstar has kept the weeds at bay for one year with no post spray apps. until the Mondo fills in thick.
    Hope this helps. Also, check your post on "Weeding Profitable?"
    Heh its raining, got to see if I got enough Round-Up ready for the cracks!
  4. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

What do you use for (post)broadleaf control in Bermuda?

Anybody else use Turflon ester on Fescue? that seems to work fine for me.