1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which pre emergent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dougcj7, Apr 7, 2005.

1. dougcj7

dougcj7 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I was wondering what pre-emergent has had the best results in mid Michigan lawns. I've never really got into this step with my other customers but I just got four new jobs and they are all neighbors and they all think they need this and if they want I'm more then happy to take there money, so any help would be appreciated.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I use Dimension. Make sure you have a license and insurance before you apply. The fines are steep!
  3. andygold

andygold LawnSite Member

Can you apply a pre-emergent too early? What's the proper temps necessary to apply the product?
  4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Im in central jersey and started yesterday, i like to wait till i start to see the forsythia to bloom. many people ferted weeks ago, im glad i waited because the lawns are greenin up with out it. i just wish my customer would read there agrrement instaed of calling asking if i forgot them. tony
  5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Did mine this week....had a foot of snow last weekend so worked out well.
    I generally apply pre-m before April 1st. This is the latest I have done it.

Did the same old dance with lesco ....ring me three weeks ago offering 19-0-6 .1 Dimension pallet price of $13.85ea with free delivery ...I agree.....I turn up un announced to pick up a pallet and its $14.35.....might want to rethink that for a minute....I paid $13.85. Even bought a new spreader.

What you guys paying for your pre-m this year?
  6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

$14.25 for 19-0-6 Dimension from Lesco. It cost about a buck a bag less for TeamPro but the Dimension has some some post emergent effect. Last about 12 weeks. We started putting it down last week and will have it all down by 3rd week in April. We use a little less than a pallet.
  7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I used Team Pro last year. I Like to alternate year to year between It and Dimension.
  8. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Damn, our Dimension 19-0-6 was $16.57! (Lesco, Darien, IL) But I only need 3 bags.

Should I complain or is this a fair price for such few bags?
  9. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

You have to apply pre-m before gound temperatures go over 50 degrees then it is too late. Or the old wise tale of when the forsythia blooms.

I have had good resuts with Lesco Pre-M
  10. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

We started last week the frost is gone "Lower mid Michigan" and we use Dimension.