Which Push mower Honda Commercial or JX85?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 7, 2003.

Which mower would you buy and why?

1. Honda Commercial HRC216K1HXA

10 vote(s)
  2. John Deere JX85

12 vote(s)
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Which push mower would you get if you had a choice? The best Honda commercial or the John Deere JX85?
  2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the new Honda Hydros, they are beautiful!!! They work great, and are so nice to push! I'm looking forward to pushing those puppies all summer!!!
    I don't know about the JD's
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the JX85 and is a good mower, other than having to replace the throttle cable I have not done any work to it. The transmission is hard to hit in 5th and sometimes 4th gear (which is usually what I run it it). If I had to get another 21", these would be my two choices also, but would be a tough one. Earlier threads say that JD does not make the JX85 any longer, but you could always buy the JX75 and upgrade a few components to make it an 85. Let us know what ya get!

4. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

If you get the jx 85 change the blade to a gator blade available at www.power41.com gator blade number 90-962.

Jx 85 is a good mower mulchs fair bags great although that bag fills fast
  5. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I love the JD....I had a Honda but was cutting to low for St. Augustine down here. Even with the blade all the way up. No problems with the JD though.

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a jx75 and was looking for a gator blade to fit it.

Do you have an older model or does the jx85 have a single center hole? My jx75 has two holes.
  7. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

My jx85 has three holes,one big one in the middle of two small holes where the bolts go in to clamp the blade down
  8. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

I f you are going to be the only one using the JD I would probably get the JD, but if employees are also useing it I would buy the honda or a toro. I had 4 JD's (3) 75's and (1) 85 all I have left is the 85 an dbought (6) parts mowers from dealer. Employees broke 2 decks , 1 transmission and 4-5 bent cranks at 350.00 a pop. JD cranks are very weak, but employees just don't care.
  9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an older Honda model HR214 (21" 4 HP) Even at 4HP it runs the standard doubles without any effort (The kind of blades that mount parallel to each other on the spindle, not the "+" form). Its got shaft driven trans. (which I think beats the belt drives anyday) and has electric start. Also bags too. I have found that the "overlaying" doubles add a TON of lift for derbis pickup. Heck, I've even vacuumed off sidewalks with the deck 3" off the ground and they come out cleaner than with the echo blower!!! :D
  10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the grandad of the jx-85, the sc-14 commercial it is identical minus the blade clutch and green paint, [mine is grey] i bought it used and don't know it's age, the dealer thinks its about 10 years old. I've used it for 3 years. The transmission cable can be adjusted, to adress gear problems it is a 5 speed gear unit and when its adjusted correctly, it clicks firmly when in a gear. you can shift on the fly. I got the optional side discharge chute as well. I love this mower. With the blade clutch, bent cranks would seem to be non-exsistent.
    With the rear door open, and the side discharge chute removed, the mower will mow easily grass 1 foot tall, just stand to the side as the shower of green will come out in a 5 foot tall arc. It has enough power that it will pull you up a hill, its hard hold back when you engage the transmission on pavement and stand still.
    I did back over mine and crack the cast aluminum deck, I have a post in the mechanics forum to adress repairs, however, since the deck can be replaced, I've ordered one new from my dealer, green paint and jx-85 decals, he sold it to me for 200. well worth it.
    I stripped down my mower yesterday to change it over, the rear wheel assemble with the transmission unbolts as one unit and drops down. the process of removing everthing took a little over an hour, It was only while tearing down the unit that I saw the heavy duty parts and engineering that the mower has,since the mower is in exceptional shape, it was worth the effort and cost, I hit something last year and it sheared the flywheel key and knocked it out of time. I replaced the key and no problems scence. starts just like any kaw i ever pulled