1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which PUSH mower to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry and Sons, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I am looing for a true push mower not a self propelled unit. Icurrently have a Toro personel pace. It has only been in service a year and is shot. The engine starts on the first pull but the rest of the mower is falling apart. I am looking for something that will not cost a fortune but will withstand being used maybe a half hour a day. Thanks for the input.
  2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

in a nice way are you crazy!? a push mower...... if your going to invest in a "true" push mower why not just go to lowes or home depot and buy of them murray mowers for like $100 and just replace it ever time it wears out.........
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I always recommend original OMC Lawn Boy gotten from eBay or local shops...
  4. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I would have to suggest buying a cheap murry somewhere. I have a new Snapper self propelled that I use. I also have an old Murry with a Briggs 3 1/2 hp. It has a ton of use on it and is still runs great. I think it was about $115 at Wal Mart.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a craftsman 6 HP with the fuel preserveer built into the fuel cap. use it only once a week for 20 mins, so the $180 mower that will last years under this light use, is more than fine to me. high wheels and tons of power.
  6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Go to HomeCheapo my friend.
  7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

they still sell Murrays!!! i had a old p.o.s that someone gave me.. never changed the oil, the deck was bent and it still cut better than my w/b :laugh: i was taking it off the back of my truck the other day and dropped it.. the wheel fell off and im assuming i broke some other stuff too. havent had the time to check it.
  8. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cub Cadet makes a 21" push mower with a 5.5hp Honda engine, 3-1 mulch,bag,discharge all standard for $250. I think that that will be my next push mower.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, do you want to mulch, bag, side discharge, or 2 or all 3?
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A 21" mower may see what, 300-500 hours of use? I'd advise spending what it takes to get the most productive and easy to use unit. If you spend $300 on a cheapo vs $900 on a primo machine, you might save $1 or thereabouts per hour of use. You're trying to earn $50 or $60 or whatever from it. So the cost of the machine is not that important.

If you have employees, they will be happier with a self propelled unit. So will you. You also will be less tired and less likely to get an injury manhandling it over bumps and such. It's also nice to have a blade brake clutch and also to be able to one-hand the machine when needed.

I also have a toro personal pace mower I bought for use at a second home with a postage stamp lawn. It was cheap, about $300, for a 6hp aluminum deck unit, off ebay. Works ok, but it doesn't seem to mulch as well as my older more expensive Toro 21's, and the drive system has already failed on one side after about 20 hours of use in the business. I wish I'd gone with a proline or top end consumer model instead.

I am not a fan of the personal pace system. The squeeze bar type will pull you up a hill. The push bar personal pace units require you to walk forward to get the mower to move at all. You're about half pushing it, it seems. The handle bar is also too long to be handy.

My Toro 21's are 10 and 8 years old, I think. One runs fine, the other is iffy but I think it's a fuel line/tank clog I just haven't had time to fix properly. Zero problems with the drive system on those, btw.