Which Push Spreader to Buy??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 31bro, Mar 19, 2007.

1. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I am looking to buy a good push spreader which one is the best? I was looking at a Lesco or an Earthway. Any suggestions????

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Earthway is crap!! Lesco is pretty good. Spyker is better.

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco is what I consider (as do many) to be an industry standard. Anderson's also has a quality spreader, but the price turns many off. Spend the money once and be done. I have Lesco's from 15 years ago. There are many I'm sure that have older one's than that. Rebuild 'em and keep on going.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have used Lesco spreaders for over 20 yrs! they cant be beat. I bought a Earthway once and it didn't even make it through 1 season and the frame broke. what ever you buy get a stainless steel frame. I have a extra Lesco spreader I will sell you for $175. if your interested. I'm on the west side of Indy

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Earthways are good as long as you get the stainless steel c24 model. they spread much more even then the lesco spreaders.Earthway has a dispertion rate from the 3 hole hopper of 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 a nice even spread. Lesco has a 25%, 50%, 25%. Lesco's are good spreaders but i feel, IMO, that earth way's are even better and have a larger hopper. The key is w/ EW to get the SS model Not sure about the spykers though.
    -Jay

6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i have both an earthway and a lesco. The earth way is a piece of crap and is not a salt spreader. The lesco is nice and they are on sale at the dealer right not for 299 i think.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the earth way. I like it except the rusting. I make sure to blow it out after use other wise the fert sweats and screws up the holes in the bottom. I would like to check out some others but this still has many years left so i will run it till it dies.

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

They actually tell you that in the instructions, "not recomended for rock salt".
    -Jay

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

10. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Then I guess I have a peice of crap hanging from my rafters in my garage? My Earthway is treating me just fine!!! Let me guess, you have a Spyker spreader and whatever you have is the best? It all boils down to how often will you be using the spreader, performance and of course how deep your pockets are. BTW, if I had the money and was looking for a spreader I would buy the Lesco in a heart beat......