Which ride on spreader/sprayer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, Aug 8, 2014.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I've been pretty set in my mind about getting a ride on, can't make up my mind which will be better for my situation. The Ground Logic xc or Z-spray jr 36. The zspray seems like a great machine.. but this video has me kind of discouraged on getting a zspray. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1VR00aLDE I'm gonna go check one out at jdl next week i think.. My biggest concern with it is i've noticed in this video that it will tend to do a "wheelie" at times going up hills.. thats gonna make me nervous i think.. I also noticed the same thing in their "stunt" video. :laugh:

I want something that I will be able to spray pre-emergent out of and able to handle larger lawns as well as smaller ones. of course on lawns under 5k or with more obstacles or extreme hills i'd be push spreading and/or using my skid. I have a 100gallon skid and a 50 gallon skid. i spray at 1.5 gallons per thousand so i get close to 100,000 sq. ft. per fill, and this is no good because i have days i can do 10 yards and have to go re-fill. Is there anyone who has used both of these machines and could comment on the differences?
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Can't speak for GL but I own a Z Max. Yes the front end can be light and wheelie. The cure is to put one or two bags of fert in the hopper. The Z is a great machine and like anything has a few issues but what doesn't. It is a high production machine once you figure a few things out. The GIE show is coming up in Oct, why not go and demo the different machines to help make your decision.

You can apply at lower volume and save a lot of time not refilling.
  3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I hope the JDL you go to is better than the one I went to. Mine had no clue what they were selling. And told me pre m was a no no. Good luck
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let Rayholio run you off. That is not the way to approach spraying that type of layout with ANY ride-on.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Brashears is absolutely correct and that was a great suggestion by ArTurf as well.

Rayholio went out of his way to do things the wrong way in that video. As with any piece of equipment, you need to know how to operate it as safely as possible and plan each application on each property as each is different.

I won't even begin to comment on Ray's operation/maintenance of any equipment he came in contact with but as of his last few posts here, he was looking to get out of the lawn business and get in to Real Estate :laugh:

JMO but I think his customers were beginning to take notice of his "Beavis & Butthead" way of doing things...
  6. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I 2nd that post.
  7. ETM

from Georgia

His tip test of the z and the t3000 reminded me alot of butthead. Kinda scary
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

inzane - I know a few LCO's on here do not think much of how the Jr36R operates cross-slope. I remember reading some of those posts. I backed off that machine because of those....
  9. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

Well, i heard different things about the jr36r maybe underpowered? so i was looking at the one with the bigger engine. I'm worried about tearing up turf with the tires as well. I can't find the specs on the zspray weight, but i assume its alot heavier than the GL?
  10. ETM

from Georgia

Pm me your email I will forward you a spec sheet I got. Has all the info you are looking for.
    Posted via Mobile Device